12v battery sizes

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

12v battery sizes

Post by JohnHudak »

While searching for some batteries to power my 1 1/2" EMD model 40 project, I came across this chart that lists the physical sizes of 12v automotive batteries.
I'd like to squeeze in the biggest battery I can, and was looking for something just like this...
John

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html
Kevin_S

Re: 12v battery sizes

Post by Kevin_S »

John, one thing to think of is when you have to replace the batteries. A group 24,27,and 29 are very common sizes that can be found at most stores. Some of the other group sizes might have to be ordered or visit multiple shops to get all you need.
-Kevin S.
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Keep in mind for an electric locomotive you want Deep Cycle batteries not car batteries.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

I have a Super Huskie that uses size 26R batteries. Unfortunately, these don't seem to be available in a deep cycle version, and I am forced to use automotive batteries in this size; however, they DO seem to hold up much better over the long term than I would have expected.
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

A Model 40 project.... cool!

any pics?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

And you can get group 27 in deep cycle. It's a pretty good size battery.

Make sure it's a "deep cycle" and not "dual use". There are batteries that are sort of between automotive and deep cycle, You want a pure deep cycle (unless you have a pressing need to keep jump starting your car).

Steve
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Miserlou57 wrote:A Model 40 project.... cool!

any pics?
I started this project about a year and a half ago, and I'm getting close to making a test run in a month or so... It has two 350 watt wheelchair motors connected to a common shaft. From there the RPM is reduced to a jackshaft under the chassis, and reduced again to each axle.. I'm using timing belts instead of chains.
It will have a 4QD controller and will operate at 24 volts..
Here's a pic taken about a year ago.. Not much different looking now as I was working on other projects. I still need to add the side skirts, fuel tanks, etc....
John
Attachments
DSCN0405.JPG
DSCN0404.JPG
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

Boating stores ussually have Deep Cycle batteries, (have 3 8D Gell Cell batteries on my boat, 13 years old and still working)
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
Dan_M

Post by Dan_M »

I'd look for a deep cycle battery with the highest RC (Reserve Capacity) for a given size.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Yep, deep cycle is the way I'm going, but I am limited as to what I can fit in the noses of the model 40...
That's why I needed to know the actual sizes of the batteries..
John
David_T

Post by David_T »

Try the actual battery manufacture's website. Just search for their names, Trojan, Empire etc.