New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by steamin10 »

The back testing weight will only add to traction and stopping power, something usually lacking in the small critters. So long as you get the go juice and braking good, it should work out to be an awsome unit. Looks good from here. :)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

I know its going to have plenty of go power for sure with the 500W motor. The controller should also have no issues dealing with it either. Just not sure on the stopping power but from what I have heard it should do well in that department as well. But I do plan on air brakes on my cars for added assurance.

Jason
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thanks for reply Jason and Kevin.
Memory failed me for a while, the BCWRR.
Almost Monday, set alarm, back to work. Friend and I have a couple locos with the Syren 50 controllers, they work OK for us but, we haven`t pulled many cars or passengers yet. We use two 350 watt scooter motors, 24 volts like Ride Trains builds. Your system should work pretty good also. Personally I prefer "ElectricScooterParts.com I think they have a better website than Monster.

No fuss what you`re doing/using, just a matter of comparison and opinion. Keep on keepin` on what you`re doing.
chooch

As for my back it is much better than it was Monday and should allow me to head back to work this Monday.

For the power components:
500W motor from monster scooter
Dimension Engineering Syren 50 Controller
24v system running it all.

Kevin is also correct BCWRR = Bittercreek Western Railroad in Arroyo Grande, CA. Its a great 7.5" railroad that is privately owned and holds a few meets a year. http://www.bcwrr.org/index.html

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Well a little update. I now have the drive chains in hand but am unable to get my hands on a freaking motor. Apparently everyone else is either building locomotives or we are about to be inundated by a flurry of electric scooters :roll: .

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Ok so I am having a hard time finding any info on what horns were on these little beasties. I have been offered and am planning on getting in on another Beta test of a new sound/controller system being developed. So trying to find the right horn so I can request the right one on the board. I have the right prime mover sound just need the horn or did it have a whistle?

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Just a quick update. I ordered the controller/sound system yesterday. Sounds for the loco are the prime mover as a GE Cummins Deisel switcher and for warning the Hancock Air Whistle. The system will also be controlling the lights for loco as well.

Jason
chooch

Post by chooch »

I wonder if the person working on a "new sound/controller system being developed' would mind having his name/site info etc. mentioned.
It might help the developer person and modeler as well to get something that I believe would be a reasonable price and "unit".
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

LOL. Sorry didn't know how the boards were about having names and advertising thrown around. I know others don't care for it much. I also was planning on doing a show and tell kinda thing once it was installed and working.

But the controller is being made by Roy Stevens of Ride Trains. The handle held unit integrates the controls of the loco with on board buttons on the face. The unit inside the cab that it plugs into then wires into the motor controller and syncs the sounds and lights to the inputs of the hand held unit. Plus it is designed for drop in plug in for the Dimension Syren and Sabertooth controllers, which is what I am using. So perfect fit. I don't have any pics of my unit as its still enroute. But you can view the unit on Roy's site. http://www.ridetrains.net/sound-light-m ... trol-2.htm

As a side note I have begun to move on to the next stage of the build while I wait for all the electrics to arrive.

Jason
Attachments
Cab metal and angle iron for assembly.
Cab metal and angle iron for assembly.
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Here is the fruits of today's work.
Attachments
Mounting holes.jpg
Another Angle Iron.jpg
Assembly 2.jpg
Rough Fit of cab.jpg
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Here is a better pic of where the loco is in its build. The shot is with my youngest boy (9yo) to show scale.

Jason
Attachments
The loco and my youngest boy.jpg
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Last pics for a few days. Got a lot done this weekend and the loco is looking good I think. Hope to have most of the rest of the parts to get her moving on her own power by Tuesday. Can't wait.

Jason
Attachments
CAM003881.jpg
CAM003861.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jason,
You "Think" the your loco looks good? I think it looks DARN good and you`re doing a great job. Keep it up and you`ll have a hard time getting your Son off it when finished. :-)
Would like to see your show and tell when you get Roy`s sound system ready.
chooch
fresnojay wrote:Last pics for a few days. Got a lot done this weekend and the loco is looking good I think. Hope to have most of the rest of the parts to get her moving on her own power by Tuesday. Can't wait.

Jason