New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

fresnojay

Re: New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by fresnojay »

Wanted to post a quick blurb. Started reassembling last night. Lots of rewiring for the new amp and the headlight. Took longer than I expected so it may add an extra day or 2 to the process.

Jason
chooch

Post by chooch »

Whoops, missed your reply by a couple days Jason.
Yessir, darn Good forming job and you should take pride in your work.
I`m just to lazy to make the Nice flattened ends. :-(
chooch
fresnojay wrote:Chooch,
This is where I do take great pride in saying. No jig and no heat was used. All pieces were pre-measured, cut, and carefully hand bent in a vise at the pre-measured marks to ensure equal bends and lengths. I will admit there were a few rejects during the process from not paying attention to detail. But in the end they came out great.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

LOL Chooch. Well they are work I totally agree.

Well about half the grabs are installed at this point. Think it really makes things pop and not seem so blah anymore. Once these are on and the loco is brought back to a running state this is how she will stay for a while. After the move gets completed and things settle down work will resume on the other little items.

Jason
Attachments
Grabs.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Does look nice Jay, does look nice.
Again, good luck with your move and get back to us when you can.
chooch
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

All set to head out for a run tomorrow.

Jason
Attachments
Finished up for now..jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

not to crash Jasons build post, here are the two sister after just putting putting away the ten wheeler
20140920_171510.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jason,
Have a good run. Looks nice.
You remember we talked about a Flip Cap for exhaust pipes. I looked again and see that Colgate toothpaste has a Flip top cap. It might not be able to actually--Flip-Flop-like real as you would like but does stay open or closed if you want that look.

I trimmed the base of one cap just leaving a small tab, attached it to a plastic tube with a small 3/32 pop rivet, and mounted that to the Metal body of my 4 wheel industrial switcher (1-1/2" scale). In my case, I cut two narrow rings of plastic from a fitting that went over the first tube to act as top and bottom flanges. for the "exhaust pipe". When all fitted in place, squeeze tight, some good dabs of glue should hold ok.

You might find some copper OR other small tube fittings that would work as a Stand Alone exhaust or added to a Simulated muffler.

An Aside: For the look of a whistle, I took a steal rod (or bolt) just cut a notch in it to look like a whistle. Threaded one end for top and bottom nut per thickness of body. I filed the points off one nut to resemble the "Base" of the whistle.

Hope this helps for your interest or others.
chooch
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

So I have been absent for a while due to family health issues and work. Luckily all have resolved themselves in a good way for once and can get back with some updates. The locomotive has seen quite a few meets now and hours of running. I am also pleased to say it has never hit the ground (knocks on wood). Has been a great locomotive and taught me loads. With more yet to come I am sure. So now Please pardon anything I may leave out or duplicate in the following updates.

1. New amp, speaker box, and revision of sound controller have worked out beautifully. I did have a issue with still needing a 3rd battery to power the control system and sound system. But that is now resolved with the recent (2 weeks ago) addition of a voltage converter for the system to run off both the on board batteries to distribute the drain evenly between them.

2. Headlight works ok but could be better. Its currently a 1W Warm White LED that does give off a yellowish more incandescent color than you would expect from a LED. I am wondering if maybe a focusing lens might do the trick for what I want. It is bright but too diffuse for any distance or definition.

3. In the coming weeks I will be adding a 50A manual reset marine breaker to the loco. Last weekend at the SVLS Fall meet I blew 2 fuses. 1 because I was messing around and knew better. The other was while my step son was running the loco and it popped for some unknown reason yet to be determined. In the end tired of carrying fuses that I might run out of at an in opportune time.

That's about all I can think of for now. I am sure I will remember more later. Until then back to work on the loco and riding cars.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Here is a quick pic of how she rolls these days. The flat had seats and pedestals added a few weeks ago. The gon was built up this last spring/summer for the kids to have a riding car. Still needs detail work but is proving itself a rugged little car. Anyhow here it is from this last weekend's SVLS Fall Meet.
Attachments
Current Consist.
Current Consist.