New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

fresnojay

Re: New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by fresnojay »

I never liked the arrangement of the speakers. Also the amp that was in the loco was just not up to par for powering the sound system. So that was changed and requires a complete rearranging of the rest of the internals.

So as a result a small vertical tower speaker box was made and the new 400W amp has to be shoe horned into the available space.

I also during my trip to the LALS spring meet had an issue with the batteries coming loose and trying to destroy the locomotive. As a result I made a post retaining system similar to what is used in automobiles. Hence the 4 posts that are sticking out of the chassis. Will have a 1" x 3/16" cross bar between each pair of rods to lock down the batteries. The rods are 1/4"-20 all thread and to hold the bar down I have stainless washers and stainless wing nuts.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the new chassis arrangement as I had to wait for the chassis' new coat of paint to dry. New coat was needed as a result of the batteries breaking loose and tearing the cab loose and scratching the paint off in various places.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Painting has halted for the weekend as its now time to let everything dry and setup before moving on to the main colors for the cab and roof. Doors and headlight are done and are what colors they will be.

Jason
Attachments
doors and headlight.jpg
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

fresnojay wrote:The rods are 1/4"-20 all thread and to hold the bar down I have stainless washers and stainless wing nuts.
Nevercease is not a bad thing to use with stainless steel nuts. Not as big of a deal if they are running on steel bolts, but an absolute must if stainless nuts are running on stainless bolts. If you don't they will gall seemingly instantly.
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

So spent the weekend finishing up the painting and assembly of the cab and chassis. Over all I am happy with the outcome.

Now working on the steps, grabs, stirrups, etc. At this point which is the quitting point for today I have completed 1 set of 2 door grabs.

Jason
Attachments
Painted 1.jpg
steps 1.jpg
grabs 1.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Hey, Hey, Hey, OK, Jay.
A Poet, didn`t even know it. :roll:

Looking good Jay, I`ll give it a passing grade.
Now, what are you thinking of for windows, air hoses or an overhead pole maybe??
I might have a pic of the pole if you like.
chooch
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Thanks for the kind words Chooch.

I have drawings for a muffler on top. Just need to get to that point. Tackling the little stuff like the grabs, steps, and stirrups. After that the cut levers and muffler will follow.

Windows will be one of the last items as I don't want to risk damaging them while doing all this other stuff. I will be consulting you personally for the window ideas and possibly the air hoses.

I have a home location move that is going to again stall work on the project here in the next month or so. Just trying right now to use the items I have in the garage up so I don't have to worry about them getting lost or damaged in the move.

Jason
chooch

Post by chooch »

Good luck with the home move.
You know I`m here anytime, feel free.
chooch
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Another day in the garage resulted in a full set of grabs for the boxcab ready to paint and mount. Hope to get the stirrups completed while the paint is curing on the grabs.

Jason
Attachments
Grabs all ready for paint.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jason,
All the Grabs look very nice and even. Did you have to make a "Jig" for bending all the same, and did you heat the ends to flatten them? The little things are a Lot of work aren`t they.
chooch
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Chooch,
This is where I do take great pride in saying. No jig and no heat was used. All pieces were pre-measured, cut, and carefully hand bent in a vise at the pre-measured marks to ensure equal bends and lengths. I will admit there were a few rejects during the process from not paying attention to detail. But in the end they came out great.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Just about finished the marking and drilling of the grabs on the cab. Also have been painting the grabs as I finish using them for the marking/drilling guides as they are ever so slightly different since they were all hand made without a jig. Hope to install them come friday or saturday.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Ok just a brief follow up from my last post. All grabs painted. Holes drilled in cab. And the new steps installed after a week of cure time.

Jason
Attachments
Steps installed.jpg
Painted Grabs.jpg