New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

fresnojay

New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by fresnojay »

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a chassis from a friend. Its his design that I am going to be building up.

Anyhow I am looking for some journals and have found a few out there but none of them look just right. I have seen one at MDM that looks close but uses 2 springs. Most if not all prototype pics show them only using a single spring. I have also seen one at Cannonball but again just doesn't look quite right. Any suggestions?

Jason
Attachments
The loco was designed and will by patterned off of this type. I plan on following it as close as I can.
The loco was designed and will by patterned off of this type. I plan on following it as close as I can.
fresnojay

Re: New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by fresnojay »

Oh so talked with the designer tonight and received a few drawings. So the journal issue is no longer one. I will be making the ones from the plans. Can't wait to get it in and started on it.

Jason
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

For my critter I started down that road too, and really liked the prototype in the photo (minus the grime!) I eventually went towards a Davenport, but I hope your engine turns out nice. They sure are, for lack of a better word, "cute!"
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

So by the looks of things the chassis should be arriving tomorrow or the next day. Can't wait to get started.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Ok a quick post. Chassis arrived today and plan on having it dry fitted by tomorrow afternoon sometime. Pics to follow.

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Ok here are some pics of the chassis. Did a lot of filing to get the fit of the chassis right. It has been all dry fitted at this point and is ready for welding together. Going to wait till I have the mounting holes for the peds and binders drilled and set for mounting before its all welded together. The side and end plates are 3/8" steel, the Deck is 5/8" steel. It is heavy!

The road to my first loco has begun.

Jason
Attachments
CAM00044.jpg
CAM00045.jpg
CAM00046.jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

looking good!
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Nice Jay, that's gonna be really neat.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Thanks Mike. Hoping to get some of the detailing and building practice I will be needing for my future steam project. Will be great for the wife and kids too.

Jason
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Jason,

Do you feel like doing a "double or nothing"? Came across the attached juice motor at the trolley museum across the parking lot from Steamtown RR Museum in Scranton, PA a few weeks about when I was out that way (on a "training" mission). The overhead pole was missing. The pix of your frame materials reminded of this. Those frames might actually fit this lokie. They look nearly identical.

Inside the cab of this juice motor (barely visible)...was nothing more than what looked like a brake wheel. Didn't take a closer look...but I figured that was either the speed controller wheel...or it was a brake wheel. At the very least, you could tell people the wheel was there to help steer the train around sharp curves! :lol: Might as well have some fun when you can! Enjoy. Carl B.
Attachments
xIMG_3304.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Quick update from a long dormant thread. I ordered yesterday the bits to take the chassis to a rolling awaiting electronics stage. Have been crazy busy with work that has kept me away from home for all but the holidays themselves. Also why I have missed a good many meets in that time. So in a few weeks updates will again begin to flow into the thread once the bits are in hand 8) .

Jason
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Got some drilling done today on the chassis side plates. Had to sort out some issues with the drill press at my dad's and get a proper X/Y vise for the press. Hoping this week to get a floor model press of my own so I can do this stuff at home when time allows rather than waiting for a day when me and my dad are free to meet up.

Last week my first set of new parts arrived to begin the road to finished loco. I got the chassis drilled and ped binders installed. Hope in the next few days to get the chassis drilled for the peds and get them installed as well. Need to take proper pics for posting tomorrow as my phone was acting up and wouldn't take good pics with the light in the garage/shop.

Jason