Tribute to Kozo Hiraoka

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Tribute to Kozo Hiraoka

Post by Mr Ron »

The name Kozo Hiraoka will sound familar to most large scale railroaders. He has written books and was a contributor to Live Steam magazine. I have been out of the live steam hobby for a while and getting back. This time around, I am building models of electrics and diesels in 1-1/2 scale. This message is not about me, but of Kozo Hiraoka. I have been going through past issues of Live Steam, starting with 1976. Kozo's articles are outstanding. He shows how every piece goes together in such a way, that anyone can duplicate it. I would have to say, Kozo Hiraoka has contributed so much to this hobby that many of us got interested in live steam and railroading in general through his contributions. You may not be interested in building a Shay or Climax, but it's his methodology that sets him aside from the others. The man is truly brilliant. If there is a live steam hall of fame, his name deserves to be there.
Last edited by Mr Ron on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
steamin10

Re: Tribute to Kozo Hiroka

Post by steamin10 »

Not Genious. Just practical in his approach. That he tends to make his own parts instead of relying on castings, he leads the way at total fabrication for the home guy. This in itself is the reason I enjoyed following his multiple builds, for the 'can do this way' approach that seems complex to many builders. For example, how many parts it takes to make a spoked wheel. No casting, but fabricated, and wonderfully so. In doing each part, the soldering skills and other techniques become second nature, and in time, natural enough to not be daunting as so many build tasks can be. The GOLD lies in the techniques that work, and the hidden details so well explained to avoid the little agrevating failures that come before experience.

I have recommended his books repeatedly to new build hopefulls, just for the construction 'how to' information. While his methods may encompass more steps, the foundations of his work, trains a student for many basic skills needed all along the trail.

And to that, I endorse your compliment, wholeheartedly.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SilverSanJuan

Re: Tribute to Kozo Hiraoka

Post by SilverSanJuan »

I am very grateful for Mr. Hiraoka's contribution to the hobby. I had always felt that live steam was out of my reach due to the equipment/cost that I thought was required. He's shown me that I too can get into this hobby that I've dreamed of for so many years.

I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. I grew up helping my Dad with car and home repairs, engine rebuilds etc... But, machining requires some different disciplines and finesse. Mr. Hiraoka's attention to detail and techniques in his writing have made it very easy for me to acquire these skills. I've learned so much on my A3 build so far. And, I'm just getting my first set of trucks completed. It is a great sense of accomplishment for me.

I have the greatest respect for Mr. Hiraoka's work and thank him for sharing it with us.

Todd
daveb

Post by daveb »

About 6 years ago I began to think about building a steamer. At the time I had several 1/20 steamers from Accucraft. My thought process was why should I buy these expensive locos when I could take the money and buy the tooling and build one. Holding me back was no experience in machining. Then someone told me about Kozo's books. Bought the original shay and the new shay and these convinced me that I could do this. Went out and bought a mill and lathe and started the new shay in December 2009 almost 5 years ago and I'm still working. I can't say enough about how Kozo has opened a new world for me. If anyone is on the edge of making a decision buy the books, they will really help. I almost think that Kozo has made a Machinist out of me.

Currently working on the cylinders and then onto the crankshaft which I am looking forward to.

Hopefully it will be ready to steam in the spring, another Kozo success. Then onto the K-27.

Thanks Mr Kozo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77767142@N06/10300958846
Dave Barker
Kennebunk Me
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I built the first Shay and had that running in 1985. I thought that I could silver solder until I read Kozo's book. After that I would pick up all of the silver solder pieces that the other guys in maintenance would throw out and save them. That book on the shay helped a lot in machining parts as well.

By the way Dave, I am about 45 minutes west of you in Bennington.

Jim B
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Interesting, I'm just west of both of you guys. I'm close to Amsterdam, NY. :)

Todd
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...kind of interesting that a tribute to a model STEAM locomotive builder would show up in the Riding Scale Railroading forum. No matter. Because what Kozo has done, has created an avenue for many would be builders to look at component fabrication differently. You don't have to be a pattern-maker or know all the tricks of the trade to make patterns, you don't have to deal with foundries for your "one-up" parts, you don't have worry about finding and figure out how to machine castings. Kozo's approach was rather basic...break any component down into its basic shapes. Add a little machine time, drill and tap screw holes, add a dash of silver solder and you have the desired part. Along the way...if you don't know how to machine...Kozo provides step-by-step descriptions of how to approach the machining aspect of the part. You don't have to be a master chip-maker...you'll learn that in time. And if you don't know how to silver solder...you'll learn that skill as well. As someone noted...whether you build any of the Kozo steam locos or not...the articles and books are a great information resource. You don't have to have a piece of metal in your hand. If you can visualize the steps and process...then you'll understand what Kozo is attempting to accomplish. Lest you forget, these skills go far beyond steam locomotives...they apply to any construction/fabrication type project. You just have to figure out how to get from start to finish.

I applaud Kozo for his dedication to the hobby and attention to detail. If you've never written anything...it takes an incredible amount of time to organize thoughts, get those thoughts on paper and then edit the material to insure nothing has been omitted. There's nothing worse that writing something and the reader can't follow along. And with that...thank you Mr. Hiraoka! You've turned out some amazing models and "how-to" articles along the way.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
WJH

Post by WJH »

Forget his loco's, his directions taught me how to machine metal!
Rick

Post by Rick »

RB211 wrote:Forget his loco's, his directions taught me how to machine metal!

I will second that. I found Live Steam magazine about the time the first shay series started in the early to mid 70's. I was in High school (fresh or soph year) and started digging around for tools and materials to build the Shay. My parents bought me a Unimat SL for Christmas and I was off and running. Learned so much from following his instructions. Managed to machine the crank shaft in one piece on the Unimat. Looking back I wish I had as much patience now as I did back then. :o Dad got the blank for the crankshaft faced and centered out at the Navy base we were stationed at and the rest was turned and milled on the Unimat.
A year or two later Atlas had a special on their 6" lathes I think $325 for lathe, chuck and some tooling and I was really going. Had to mow a bunch of yards and deliver and install a lot of refrigerators to come up with the money. Went on and went to college and got a BS in Mechanical Engineering. Started my career as a product designer then went into business designing and building tooling and automation equipment. Been doing that for the last 30 years. So YES Kozo had a big impact on not just my hobby but with my career. I probably would be a engineer now without Kozo's influence but with his instructions being written in such a way to instill confidence I would not be as good an Engineer/machinist now if I had never experienced his work.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

What is most interesting is his ability to express himself in a language other than Japanese; not an easy task.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi