Mystery Amusement Park Train

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

gwrdriver

Mystery Amusement Park Train

Post by gwrdriver »

Can anyone give me any information on the amusement park train pictured. This was taken ca.1953 somewhere in or near Nashville TN. I know that it's not an MTC product, but I don't know who the "TST" on the nose is. I also know from another photo that the engine and cars are Talgo type.
Attachments
TSTB.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Mystery Amusement Park Train

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

it sure looks like a Tom Thumb train. Not sure what the S in the TST means though. Maybe its for Streamliner.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

That's exactly what I was hoping to find out, thanks!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Was this the train that was down at the amusement park near the fairgrounds? If so, I remember riding that thing as a kid. I also remember them selling it at the flea market up there. They had the locomotive itself and the rear observation car that came back to a point. I was a small child at the time, probably around 6 or 7 years old. I 'think' I remember it being for sale for $300 for those two pieces. I can't remember if it ran or not. It was a year or so later that I actually rode the train down there at the amusement park, and it was a different locomotive than the one they had for sale. I guess they upgraded or something. The track went around the perimeter of the park, and they had the locomotive and about 3 coaches. I believe it was 12" gauge, thinking back on it.

I can't remember when that little amusement park closed down. Had to be sometime around 1990. I also remember riding on that wooden roller coaster with my dad.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Scott,
Well, yes and no. I'm trying to help identify where the little amusement park in the photo was and we think it was one which operated in South Nashville from 1950-1952. In 1952 it was sold and moved adjacent to the State fairgrounds, which is where you rode it, but it appears the original TTS train equipment was replaced with MTC equipment shortly after the move. The train you rode would have been the MTC equipment.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN