Anybody using Tolomatic Gearboxes?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Railroad Rick

Anybody using Tolomatic Gearboxes?

Post by Railroad Rick »

Hi Railfans,

I'm interested in using Tolomatic right angle gear boxes on a set of Blomberg trucks.
If anyone is using them I would really appreciate some pictures of how they are set up and any and all advice is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Railroad Rick
:D
duckman903

Re: Anybody using Tolomatic Gearboxes?

Post by duckman903 »

I was told if you're only using 1 per truck you need to extend the drive shaft and make a shaft support to keep the gear box from cocking over and wearing it self out, but if your going to use 4 gear boxes the support is not necessary.
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Richard,

I would recommend using keyed shafting for your axles and drive line. Slide the Tolomatic boxes onto the axles and then feed the drive line through them. Cut slots in the axles and line shafting an use large snap rings to hold the boxes in position.

I would also recommend using a 4 gearboxes on a Geep or an SD. If using and SD, then use a roller chain to drive the middle axle. Using four gearboxes makes the project sooo much easier. No need to have an outboard support bearing.

Keyed shafting is available in 36" lengths, in a lot of fractional sizes. The advantage is that it has a full length keyway already milled into it.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY
bbotton

Post by bbotton »

If someone has a clear picture of SD trucks with Tolomatic gearboxes could that picture be posted here? I'm particually interested in how the drive shaft clears through the center structure of the truck where the middle axle is located.

I've been studying the photos on the Lee Wright web site and unfortunately there isn't a clear shot. I can see that part of the truck is milled away to make clearance for the drive shaft. But I can't tell how much material was removed and what, if anything, was done to ensure the structure wasn't weakend.

Lee's web site is the only one I've found that shows these gear boxes being used on trucks. Does anyone else have another site?

Thanks,
Brian
chooch

Post by chooch »

Morris RR supplies uses Tolomatic gear boxes for his EMD switcher.
Email steven-morris@sbcglobal.net

He has an advt and other info on-- discoverlivesteam.com For sale page--locomotives.
thetrainworks

Post by thetrainworks »

I use Them on all my electrics www.thetrainworks.com email me and i will find some photos for you
ken572

Post by ken572 »

You can download the catalog for them
at the bottom of this web page.

http://www.rmhoffman.com/tolomatic.html ... fgodSCcAUQ

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Due to the expense of the Tol-o-matic gearboxes, I will only be using one per truck and relying on #40 chain for the other axle. A rub pad takes out the center slack. A bracket to the existing case holes, keeps the box aligned with the center bolster. Yes, keyed shafting is used throughout, one inch in my case. Tractor Supply has u-joints and slip joint parts that can be welded together in the home shop. Mechanical supply houses carry finer U- joints, but be aware, these model engines take a pounding when in use. The trucks are powered from a jack-shaft arrangment, below the frame, and it is really heavy and fairly bulletproof. Any gear reducers and transmission options are above the frame. and pick up the final chain drive to the jackshaft. This of course is hidden in the fuel tank area, that is a hollow pan, and will contain any parts shed in service.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tomc

Post by tomc »

We use 4 of them and chain drive from the Hydrostatic to the driveline behind the fuel tanks. We had to go to a bigger model as we abuse them! You can see part of it hanging down in the pic.

Tom C.
Attachments
P6210631.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Railroad Rick

Post by Railroad Rick »

Rail fans,

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions.
It is nice to be part of a group of people who graciously help others enjoy our unique hobby.

Many thanks,
Railroad Rick :wink:
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

TomC. That is a great shot of what I described. It is one pic worth so many words. Thank you.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.