aging a flat car deck

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

aopagary

Re: aging a flat car deck

Post by aopagary »

what i started with was a Mountain Car Company flat car which has a superb aluminum frame, but the deck they supply is a piece of scored plywood which has the added cosmetic blunder of the grain going the wrong way. what it makes, however, being even with the top edge of the frame, is a great platform to attach a true planked deck.

all this time i have been thinking about ways to reattach the now three layered deck (the MCC car has a thin subdeck which evens out the center of the cast frame which i also kept in place) but frankly even at this point the deck is heavy enough to sit nicely within the frame without any fasteners. when the weight of the tractors is added, that deck will have no problem remaining seated, but it will still be removable to get to the trucks. the way i'm planning on positioning the tractors, there will be no need to turn the load, but it would be possible.

though they could be functional, the chocks will only be decorative.
i plan on securing the tractors firmly to the deck with tie-downs around the axles.
DavidF

Re: aging a flat car deck

Post by DavidF »

being new to the forum, I could really use some pictures....