Car building

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

Re: Car building

Post by PRR5406 »

I just completed the extension on my stretch-limo riding coach! I built a typical LIRR P54 coach to carry the batteries for my ALCO c420. Unfortunately, during a tour of LS railroads in May, I had two axle failures. I attributed both to that amount of weight directly over the trucks. In other words, the car was too short, and the load too concentrated. FOur 6 volt deep-cycles and 190 pound guy is a lot of weight on a short car.

Yesterday, I cut the car in half, extended it by 15 inches, beefed up the truck springs, and this is it tonight.

I hope the weight distribution will be improved. Anyway, you asked about riding cars, and.....

Dick
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Fender

Re: Car building

Post by Fender »

chooch wrote:Yah, Yah. Home improvement nothing. There you are sitting on a stack cain. I mean Sugar Cane. :P
I never cared for sticky buns, but hopped a ride nonetheless......
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN