AAR type B Truck drawing

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

Re: AAR type B Truck drawing

Post by PRR5406 »

The ALCO trucks (AAR Type B) were cast by Paul Brunet, a live steamer/Dieseler from the Montreal region. Paul has given me the the last two of his truck castings, one in aluminum, the other in zinc, as well as the rights to reproduce them. Unfortunately, I do not own the original model or mold from which they were made. If I use these copies to cast more, there would be a shrinkage issue of about 16%. I doubt you'd want those! In the interim, I suggest you look at Jimi Smith's "Boston Locomotive Works" and consider his products.

Dick
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

PRR5406 wrote:The ALCO trucks (AAR Type B) were cast by Paul Brunet, a live steamer/Dieseler from the Montreal region. Paul has given me the the last two of his truck castings, one in aluminum, the other in zinc, as well as the rights to reproduce them. Unfortunately, I do not own the original model or mold from which they were made. If I use these copies to cast more, there would be a shrinkage issue of about 16%. I doubt you'd want those! In the interim, I suggest you look at Jimi Smith's "Boston Locomotive Works" and consider his products.

Dick

Thanks, I've seen his website, very nice products.... However, his trucks are the wrong scale for me, as I'm working in 3/4" scale...
John
chooch

Post by chooch »

Shame on you John Eleven posts with information before you mention what scale you are modeling in.
Yes, even though you asked for Dementional drawings.
chooch
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

chooch wrote:Shame on you John Eleven posts with information before you mention what scale you are modeling in.
chooch
Chooch, I didn't think it was necessary for me to specify what scale I was modeling.. When you have a blueprint, you can convert the dimensions to whatever scale you're working in... In my case 3/4", and I never asked for castings, just drawings.. However, looking over all the photos of castings does help me with trying to figure out what these things really look like...
John
chooch

Post by chooch »

John,
More as a General comment.
What you say about the Drawings--and castings, might be true but, So many "Others" ask for something when being more Specific would also be more Direct,saving a lot of others going out of their way, spending time and effort sending info that is not really to the subject.
Sure drawings could be re-scaled but maybe a Certain scale mentioned would get just what a person wanted right off the bat saving my garbage like this.
No hard feelings I hope.
Thank you, and good luck with your project.
chooch
JohnHudak wrote:
chooch wrote:Shame on you John Eleven posts with information before you mention what scale you are modeling in.
chooch
Chooch, I didn't think it was necessary for me to specify what scale I was modeling.. When you have a blueprint, you can convert the dimensions to whatever scale you're working in... In my case 3/4", and I never asked for castings, just drawings.. However, looking over all the photos of castings does help me with trying to figure out what these things really look like...
John
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

chooch wrote:John,
More as a General comment.
What you say about the Drawings--and castings, might be true but, So many "Others" ask for something when being more Specific would also be more Direct,saving a lot of others going out of their way, spending time and effort sending info that is not really to the subject.
Sure drawings could be re-scaled but maybe a Certain scale mentioned would get just what a person wanted right off the bat saving my garbage like this.
No hard feelings I hope.
Thank you, and good luck with your project.
chooch
JohnHudak wrote:
chooch

John

Of course no hard feelings....!
And you're right, I should have mentioned I was thinking of building one in 3/4".. But I did learn a lot by looking at the larger scale castings, along with the prototype photos...
John
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

And what do we do with witches who don't mention scale?
"We burn them!"
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

John,

There is a photo of a 3/4" cast frame, along with some drawings here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Trucks

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

dnevil wrote:John,

There is a photo of a 3/4" cast frame, along with some drawings here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Trucks

Regards,
Daris
Thanks Daris.... I noticed that those belong to you, do you have any for sale?
John
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

No, they aren't mine. I don't have any 3/4 inch scale equipment.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org