Tuscan Red

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rwheller

Tuscan Red

Post by rwheller »

I am looking for a source of Tuscan Red paint. Now that floquil is out of business where does one find a spray paint of Tuscan Red? Is there any automotive spray paint that is "very" close to Tuscan that is available? I am not that familiar with car colors. I need to paint a caboose and possibly an F7 in 1.6 scale. RH
FLtenwheeler

Re: Tuscan Red

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Try Weaver Models. I think Dave uses their paint on his Models.

http://www.weavermodels.com/page8.html

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I think my caboose is pretty close to Tuscan red. Just ACE red primer with a coat of poly urethane.

John B.
Attachments
EaglePtCaboose.jpg
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I can still find Floquil on the shelves of my LHS which doesn't surprise me because most modelers I know did nothing but complain about it. Testors dumps them and now everyone is up in arms. LOL. :roll:

If it's fine scale model and your critical, I would just shoot Scalecoat Tuscan Red. You can get it in quarts if you contact them directly (see Weaver link above). See old discussion here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... ed#p239444

I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer covered with satin clear for the cab roof on my Kozo A3. It more closely represents Box Car red but it works well for representing a typical reddish brown. It will darken with a clearcoat. I did the running boards as well but you'll notice their a bit lighter in color with no clearcoat. I thought it looked nice but I wasn't trying to get a "dead" on match for the original. $.02

Ken-
A3_GGLS.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

I did similar Ken. Not sure of the color "Tuscan", but used Red auto body primer with Ace Hdwr. clear coat. Also came out a reddish brown. Looked like an older caboose / freight car to me. Car was given to me with no scribed sides. Black Magic marker lines faked out some people from just a couple feet away.
Hey. You make do with what you have sometimes.
chooch
RCW

Post by RCW »

rwheller wrote:I am looking for a source of Tuscan Red paint. Now that floquil is out of business where does one find a spray paint of Tuscan Red? Is there any automotive spray paint that is "very" close to Tuscan that is available? I am not that familiar with car colors. I need to paint a caboose and possibly an F7 in 1.6 scale. RH
Almost any color can be reproduced by several paint manufacturers using either a chip from the original or a referance such as an RAL number. The problem is determining what the original color was. Anyone who is really serious about authentic paint color should start with this site: http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?p ... uction.htm and follow-up material. Much of the "common knowledge" about historic colors is no more than "shared ignorance" or just plain prejudice. Man commercial models [e.g. Bachman G 4-4-0s] paint Russia-iron boiler jacketing sky blue--as did the Ford museum. Existing samples are steely grey. Tiffany reefers get painted white or yellow. Original samples are a mint green. In addition to the author of the article above, Jim Wilke is another great resource on historical color. After spending many dollars and many hours on your model, please take time to do proper homework on the color. I've found the real experts to be very generous and helpful. (And I am NOT an expert.)

Bob Williams