Scribing wood or scribed wood?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Scribing wood or scribed wood?

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I used a 90 degree countersink in my router to make some v grooved plywood. A simple straight egde jig kept the lines parallel.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Chooch - depends on the road as to board width also age of car. 2 1/2 scale 3 inch board = .6, 4 inch = .8, while 1 1/2 inch scale 3 inch board = .375, 4 inch = .5. The shape of the tip of the router bit determines the shape of the groove, so tapered bits seem to work the best. I've also done some board and batten and used end mills rather than v carve bits. V carve 90 bits leave very wide grooves, 60 not so much. I also have used engraving bits on some projects and they have a taper of 20 to 30 deg. Russ
chooch

Post by chooch »

chiloquinruss,
You have given much good ideas for the Width of scribing boards and the tools used. All you others have been helpful too.
However, I have None of the tools or machines you have and use.
Yep. I`m just a Rude and Crude home builder that does most things by hand with more common tools, like scribing with a scratch awl, marker pen lines, pop rivets and metal rods just bent and Tapped into wood or PVC for grabs / railings etc.
It works good, looks darn OK and have had only good words of my builds (a little back pat here).
At the same time, I Thank you All and do get other ideas of what I might be able to use and do. I`m sure not a rivet counter but do try to build a nice piece of rolling stock or small locomotive. Just enjoying the hobby and having a good time.
Thanks.
chooch
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

If you are scribing a flat piece of plywood the best idea is the xacto saw or a broken hack saw blade. You are cutting a grove and actually removing wood. JMO
BGBill
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15