Flatcar 2014 is done

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JDPRR

Flatcar 2014 is done

Post by JDPRR »

I have finished the car I've been working on since Christmas. It's a tom bee flat painted flat red with a couple psc details. It has MCC modern trucks and accucraft couplers. Gonna run it at RELS in a couple weeks.
Attachments
flatcar is done.jpg
JDPRR

Re: Flatcar 2014 is done

Post by JDPRR »

what it started as
Attachments
flatcar.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

OK John,
Now you have something to run with. Looking good.

Stake pockets. ---Are you going to buy or make your own, I forgot what you said.
Also, I noticed you have a safety chain but it might cause a problem the way it is just wrapped around the coupler. If it comes loose and drops down on the track and gets caught in a switch point or something it could cause some damage.
Maybe an 'Eye" bolt type hook on the car a little away from the coupler would help hold the chain up and away from the ground / track better when not in use.
JDPRR

Post by JDPRR »

I don't think i'll add stake pockets, I usually keep the safety chain on the grab iron or wrap it around the center tube. I should get some bolt cutters to cut it to length.
Thanks,
John
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

JDPRR wrote: I usually keep the safety chain on the grab iron or wrap it around the center tube.
Just a word to the wise, I'd advise you provide a solid attachment for the chain. Weld in an eye bolt under the coupler pocket. If welding is out, make a custom coupler pin with an eye that sticks out the bottom. No "grab iron" is going to hold the car in an uncoupling event.

Ken-
chooch

Post by chooch »

John,
If and when you go to your local track, the Best think to do is maybe check with the other guys or one in charge of the club and do what they say to do,
I see you have some Plywood on the shop floor? With stake pockets (my opinion) you have a better looking car. With the wood, cut it to fit your car, and pockets, and you have a gondola, work caboose or something else that would fit into the stake pockets. Multi use car for cheap.
chooch

JDPRR wrote:I don't think i'll add stake pockets, I usually keep the safety chain on the grab iron or wrap it around the center tube. I should get some bolt cutters to cut it to length.
Thanks,
John
JDPRR

Post by JDPRR »

The chain is attached to a bolt behind the coupler, i only put the loose end on the grab iron when it's not attached to anything. I'm thinking of building a boxcar shell. Coupler pockets require lots of drilling. Drilling is not my best area because i buy smaller bits over and over again. The deck of the car is plywood.
chooch

Post by chooch »

That`s a good idea John, make a box car. Make the sides to fit Over the Flat car, put some 1x2 strapping UP inside just enough so the sides will be down and hide the Metal car. Also, I would put the same in each corner for added bracing and strength. I would use Drywall screws, much better than regular nails.
Liquid Nails could also be used where all the wood has contact If you wanted to use it but I would still put a couple screws at top and bottom corners at least.
Don`t put the screws too close to the ends of the wood as it might split.
Sometimes it is good to pre drill a Smaller hole in the wood first so the wood does not split.
chooch
JDPRR wrote:The chain is attached to a bolt behind the coupler, i only put the loose end on the grab iron when it's not attached to anything. I'm thinking of building a boxcar shell. Coupler pockets require lots of drilling. Drilling is not my best area because i buy smaller bits over and over again. The deck of the car is plywood.
JDPRR

Post by JDPRR »

I added stake pockets since the last time I've been here.
Attachments
Stakepholes.jpg
stakepocket.5.jpg