Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by rkcarguy »

Excellent thank you!
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Today, I decided it was time to start getting ready to haul wood. So, I had to clean off the cars. I hauled five of the new track panels out and laid them on the ballast. I see I need to roll out a couple more feet of weed fabric to clear the sixth panel, I'll work on that later. I'll take the last panel out now, and lay it alongside the fifth one.
9-18-17 new panels down.jpg
Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mike,

Don't see a wood pile yet at End of Track!?? :D

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Erskine Tramway

Glenn Brooks wrote:Mike,

Don't see a wood pile yet at End of Track!?? :D

Glenn
Glenn........

That's because the wood pile is next to the Car Shed, and at the moment, there isn't much there :D We're expecting another four cords, first of next month. The end of track has nothing to do with hauling wood, it's just about half way to the pile of dirt I shoot into. There'll be another five-hundred or so feet, depending on the exact route I end up taking. It'd be nice if Google Earth would take another satellite picture, so I can figure out exactly where the track is now :lol: I could use a new picture in my drafting program, and the levels I plan to run this Fall, to plot a route. Failing that, I can use the current picture, and measure the track with my measuring wheel to find it, it's just more trouble :roll:

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I've seen quite a few methods for laying track as far as the base, ballast, and weed cloth goes. I like yours the most.
In my neck of the woods, it can pour rain for weeks. As I'll be installing a "trail" first then laying track on it, I'll probably use 3/8 clear for the base, lay the track, then 5/8 clear ballast to the top of the ties. I find the 3/8 clear easy to work with, it packs pretty smooth yet still lets rain flow through. Still undecided on weed cloth or not.
Erskine Tramway

rkcarguy wrote:I've seen quite a few methods for laying track as far as the base, ballast, and weed cloth goes. I like yours the most.
In my neck of the woods, it can pour rain for weeks. As I'll be installing a "trail" first then laying track on it, I'll probably use 3/8 clear for the base, lay the track, then 5/8 clear ballast to the top of the ties. I find the 3/8 clear easy to work with, it packs pretty smooth yet still lets rain flow through. Still undecided on weed cloth or not.
I like the 'base course' for sub-ballast account it's got some dust in it that 'sets up' to make a 'crust' over the fabric. I think that helps to shed water off the fabric and makes a sort of cushion to help keep the 3/4" clean rock from poking holes in the fabric. I guess your local conditions would determine whether you'd really need the fabric.

Mike
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's a good point. I was thinking I wanted the cloth/base to pass water, just not allow weeds to grow, after I used a product that didn't pass water in the past and watched a heavy rain wash all my dirt and bark landscaping into the ditch many years ago.
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

You might try "flash earth" for satellite imagery. Don't know about your area but the images for my area are clearer and newer.

Rick
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Erskine Tramway wrote:...the Throttle, pull back, with 9 notches (Idle through #8) of power.
I'd have to have one that goes to 11...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Erskine Tramway

boaterri wrote:You might try "flash earth" for satellite imagery. Don't know about your area but the images for my area are clearer and newer.

Rick
Rick.......

The image isn't as clear, but it's new enough to show the grade. Thanks.

Mike
Erskine Tramway

neanderman wrote:
Erskine Tramway wrote:...the Throttle, pull back, with 9 notches (Idle through #8) of power.
I'd have to have one that goes to 11...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
I've run engines with 16 power notches.....I don't know what good the 'half-notches' did, but they were on GE 'U Boats'.

Mike
Erskine Tramway

boaterri wrote:You might try "flash earth" for satellite imagery. Don't know about your area but the images for my area are clearer and newer.

Rick
Say, Rick......

Is that a Pay service? I'll bet that would sharpen up the image :D

Mike