Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

The steel building guy is going to come out this afternoon to see where I want the shed, So, yesterday, I finished spreading base course on the pad, and roughly laid out the tracks. Here's the result:
7-12-16 base course finished.jpg
I used up all the short and curved pieces of my old rail. Lots of joints won't matter in the shed. Some of the curved pieces will need to be straightened out, and the tracks will end up spaced wider than they are now. I've got enough of my old rails for two more rail lengths, and then I'll have to cypher out a 'compromise joint' to continue on the mainline with my new profile rail.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired

Post by 6491 »

What I don't like about forums, I can't click the "LIKE" button..... :)
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.
Erskine Tramway

For the last few days, Bud and I did trackwork. He cut ties, I installed the 3-way switch ties, and we built another two rail lengths of mainline. Yesterday, Bud built a 'track panel' jig, and I cleaned off the grade and rolled out more weed fabric. I used my little John Deere to dump the sub-ballast on the fabric, and to dump ballast on the completed track. We also 'decked' the grade crossing. So here's a couple views of yesterday's work.

Mike
7-15-16 shed tracks.jpg
7-15-16 crossing.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks....

While Bud was here, he built a track panel jig, and put together four panels. We laid them on Sunday and I ballasted and tamped them up, finishing before it got hot this morning. Last night, I cut about three dozen ties, so when the weather is cooler, I'll build more panels. This afternoon, it's cool in the shop, so I'll pre-drill the ties for track screws. I might haul a few rails around and drill them for joint bars too. The joint bars that came with the new rail require longer bolts than the old ones, so I won't be able to bolt them up until the weekend. The longer bolts are supposed to get here Friday.

Here's a view of the mainline towards Erskine Junction from the North. There are a couple 'humps and hollars' in the track, account that's as even as the 'Cat' guy could manage. But, the cross level is good, and that's all that really matters, if I need to, I can raise the low spots.
7-20-16 end of track.jpg
Enjoy,

Mike
tomc

Post by tomc »

Lookin good Mike. We replaced ties Friday as it was cool. Got a spot of poison ivy some how.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Erskine Tramway

Tom, you gotta quit messing around with those three-leafed plants :shock:

I got a couple more panels built and hauled out to end-of-track. This morning, I bolted the first one up, ballasted...with the aid of Johnny Deere....and tamped it up. By dumping the rock on both shoulders, I can tamp under the rails without getting the centers too tight. Then, as I 'dress' the shoulders, I pull the excess up into the center of the track, and give it a light tamp, just to fill in the 'cribs'. It's only 75 out today, so after I finish lunch, I'll go out and do the next panel.

Mike
7-24-16 dumping ballast.jpg
7-24-16 First panel in this morning.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Here's living proof that the Erskine Tramway is reall running trains this summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpm5-YB8jh4

Enjoy,

Mike
tomc

Post by tomc »

Nice Mike

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

My goodness. That must be one of if not the longest tangent in live steam model railroading. The finished RR is going to be spectacular. Keep up the good work.
Cary
Erskine Tramway

Cary Stewart wrote:My goodness. That must be one of if not the longest tangent in live steam model railroading. The finished RR is going to be spectacular. Keep up the good work.
Cary
I don't know about that, but it will be about 300 more feet to the first curve. Someplace, I've got a Google Earth screenshot with the track marked on it. I intend to have about 1100 feet, out to the North end of the property.

Mike
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks........

I was cutting up the rest of my salvaged treated 2x4's for ties this morning. Some of the boards had twisted or warped pretty badly, but I managed to get 3-dozen more serviceable ties by judicious cutting. I took the first 14 out and built another panel before it got too hot. I hauled it out to 'end of track' and lined it up. After I rest some, I'll take the tractor and dump some ballast on it. If I can scrounge up another 14 ties, I'll be able to build all the track that will fit on the weed fabric I've got down and covered.

In any event, for your interest, a picture of the panel in the jig. And, I found the overhead view of the track plan.

Enjoy,

Mike
Attachments
7-26-16 Track jig.jpg
Overall 2.jpg
tomc

Post by tomc »

refresh me, what is the reason to go to the end and what will happen there?

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com