Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

There's probably 15 acres on the flat up there, and then some more out in front of the house.
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Erskine Tramway

The weather is holding, so I went out a couple days ago and finished putting in ties out to the 'pit'. I hauled up some ballast and did a rough lift to get a starting point for the crossing elevation. I dragged the crossing about half-way into the pit to start getting it lined up. Then, it started to rain, so I loaded up my tools, took a picture and headed back to the shop.

Here's the result. The crossing does line up with the track, I think the fact that it's leaning down into the pit makes it look crooked :lol:
Track built to the crossing pit.
Track built to the crossing pit.
Enjoy, Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
tomc

Post by tomc »

Darn weather!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Erskine Tramway

tomc wrote:Darn weather!

Tom C.
It really wasn't that bad, Tom. I was pretty much ready to quit for the day anyway, and it only rained for about half an hour. If you remember when you and Jack were here, it doesn't take much water to turn our volcanic dust that passes for soil around here to mud :lol:

Mike
tomc

Post by tomc »

Mike, Jack was there but not me YET! I would like to get out that way again. We will see.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Erskine Tramway

tomc wrote:Mike, Jack was there but not me YET! I would like to get out that way again. We will see.

Tom C.
Oops, I thought I remembered you with Jack. I must have met you at Battle Creek. :oops:

Well, today, I spent some time with a pick and shovel, 'adjusting' the pit dimensions, spread some gravel at the bottom and moved the crossing into position.

After shimming up the approach tracks, I shoved the passenger car frame out onto the crossing for the first 'train' movement. :D

I still need to adjust the elevations, but otherwise it's ready for service.

Mike
Attachments
3-12-16  crossing in.jpg
3-12-16 first train on crossing.jpg
tomc

Post by tomc »

Lookin good Mike. Must have been at the Creek.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Erskine Tramway

I got out the other day and raised and leveled the crossing. I cut and fitted the connections to the drain pipe and laid it in alongside. I decided to extend the block wall ot to the end of the crossing, so I dug the trench for the wall base.

Before I got tired of it, I brought some more rock up and started to ballast the approach track. I'm running out of rock, I'll have to get some more in next week :D Also, I'll pick up a couple bags of sand for the wall base.

Enjoy,
Mike
Attachments
PICT0045.JPG
tomc

Post by tomc »

Mike, my back and knees ache from just lookin at the work. Jack walked his RR and reports thousand of ties are bad. Looks like I will be busy this season on my knees.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Erskine Tramway

Tom.......

I've got a good set of 'Duluth Trading' knee pads :lol: I used to walk the R&GN Ry. every spring with a tamping bar and 'bounce' the bar off the ties. When it would go through, I'd mark it for replacement. Then we'd 'distribute' new ties and Norman would have our welder's brothers put them in. They would do that while they were on vacation from Cutller-Hammer in Milwaukee.

After I get across the crossing, I'm going to build 'panels' up on sawhorses. That will cut down some on the kneeling.

On the other end, I'll be able to get at the track again with either 'Kitty' or 'Deere John' to haul rock :D I need to finish the door linkage on the ballast car to do the finish work, but the tractors will handle the heavy work. When I get more rock this week, I'll have them dump it on the bare ground past the crossing.

Mike
Attachments
Kitty
Kitty
Deere John
Deere John
Erskine Tramway

Yesterday, I got in 5 tons of 'base course' and 10 tons of '3/4" clean' rock for the Erskine. the base course will cover the weed fabric, and the 3/4" rock will serve as ballast. Here's what the piles looked like:
Attachments
3-21-16 rock.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Well, folks......

The crossing is in and mostly 'graded'. I need some rain to settle the soil, but all the track needs is to finish screwing the rails down and 'plank' the deck. We need some rain to get us out of the 'Red Flag Warnings' too :shock:

More trackwork's in the future, after I finish some trim carpentry in our daughter's mobile home :) Then, maybe I can start on the car shed.

Enjoy, Mike
4-3-16 crossimg approach finished.jpg