Need change gears made for my SB!

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

haggard616

Need change gears made for my SB!

Post by haggard616 »

Anyone want to quote me a price? I have some really oddball gears I need for my unfortunately rare, South Bend 8". Believe it or not, the gears my lathe uses are as follows-
18DP, 5/8 bore, 3/8 thick, with a 3/16 wide key way. This is for my screw gears, which I'll need 6. I'll also need 2 stud gears, one 64tooth, the other 32. Those have the same measurements as the screw gears, Except, they have a bore of 1/2". I'm doomed unless I find someone willing to make them. I just bought this lathe last weekend, not knowing any better about change gears as this is my first lathe. Right now the only screw gear I have is a 92 tooth.. Which isn't even used for threading according to my gear plate.. It just powers my long feed. If I had a mill I would buy the cutters I need and make my own gears, it's just not possible for me for the foreseeable future. Feel free to email me a quote. Nhaggard07@yahoo.com
powderhorn01

Re: Need change gears made for my SB!

Post by powderhorn01 »

You might want to contact Joe at Plaza Machinery, He has a lot of used South Bend parts. Joe does not answer the phone, fax him, or email him.

web site: Plaza Macninery
Email Joe@plazamachinery.com
E. Bartlett HTC(SW) USN Ret.
Member Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA)
Nevada Southern Railway (Nevada State Railroad Museum)
Bridgeport Round Ram Mill
11" South Bend/10" Champion Blower & Forge Lathe (Franken Lathe)
12" Sebastian Lathe
everett.bartlett@yahoo.com
haggard616

Post by haggard616 »

Thank you! I emailed him. I appreciate the help. I hope I can salvage this situation.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Just curious, 18DP is kind of odd, you say you don't have many gears but need many made, possibly you could switch to a DP that is more common on *all* gearing?
You might also look up Ted (SBLatheman) in the southbend forum at Practical Machinist. He must have a HUGE warehouse of stuff.