:idea: Green energy hopeful looking for help

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

green_energy

:idea: Green energy hopeful looking for help

Post by green_energy »

Hello machinists!,
I need some help. I am currently involved in different types of projects that can make green energy. My latest crazy idea calls for a Tesla turbine. I have made a drawing of it to give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The green tubes on top are water or air inlets, the ones on the bottom are outlets. The shaft needs to be around the width of your index finger. ( sorry i'm not very technical) everything else is based around that size. the gaps between disks and the case should be no bigger than 4mm. the back is flat but the front has to allow the shaft to come out so a belt can be attached to it. The shaft does need to be able to spin as freely as possible.

This is a total pet project and i don't have alot of money to send on this. So i'm looking for someone to help with their time, i can pay for material needed and if you want i can make you a website in exchange.
If this works it will be used to supply farms with a way to make their own cheap electricity.

If your interested in helping please contact me and i will give you more info.

Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have 4 questions to start with.

1. It looks like you haven't made provisions for bearings on the either end of the shaft?

2. Why does the outlet have to be square? Since this adds time and material raising the cost.

3. Why would you need a double keyway for such a small shaft?

4. I guess I don't understand how this is supposed to work. I have worked on steam turbines some. What do the center disks look like?

Richard W.
green_energy

Post by green_energy »

Hi!
Nothing has to be anything. this is just a rough idea, i now need input from someone that can actually make it real.

Yes it would need barrings, so that would need to be added.

if it's easier to make it round go for it that works.

i just made it doubled because it seemed more balanced, I just need the disk to grab onto the shaft

The disk are perfectly flat with holes near the base. Just like a cd or a washer. The drawing has 7 disks

I am planning to run water through it so it needs to be rust proof. Think water pump in car type of case

my drawing in not exactly to scale

Check this out for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

green_energy wrote:
I am planning to run water through it so it needs to be rust proof. Think water pump in car type of case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine

A water pump in newer cars are aluminum and the cooling system has antifreeze in it which is a corrosion inhibitor. So you are really saying this needs to made out of stainless steel. Most likely 316 SS.

This book already has a set of plans that have been tested.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/ttur/index.html

Do you know how big it needs to be in order to do what you want to do?

You are aware that this can fly apart with an almost explosive force if it were to fail. Meaning someone could get hurt real bad or killed.

Richard W
green_energy

Post by green_energy »

I have read that its possible for it to explode and had Planned to put some kind of extra protection around the casing.

I would like to connect it to a small electric motor. I have several motors from industrial sewing machines. I was thinking that a disk about 4-6 in would do it but I'm not sure. The plan is to plug it into the irrigation system on our farm. We have an 8in water pipe that shrinks down to a drip Irrigation system. If it works we would be able to use our water to make electricity throuhout our field. The reason I would like to use this turbine is because it seems simple and cheap to make.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

My understanding is that Tesla turbines have single digit efficiencies.

Running a regular centrifugal pump in reverse as a power recovery unit is commonly done and efficiencies can approach 80%. Might scout around for a surplus/used pump.