One-off shaft for a gearbox

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

caddais

One-off shaft for a gearbox

Post by caddais »

Looking for quotes for a single shaft in a gearbox.

The shaft is from a gearbox in an older John Deere 24 skidsteer I am rebuilding.

I normally do most of my own shafts, but I don't have the tooling or experience to do the internal keyways required for this shaft.

I attached a JPG drawing of the shaft, if you want a clearer drawing let me know I can send a dxf file.

Let me know of any questions.
Thanks
Don Lawrence
Attachments
Gearbox shaft
Gearbox shaft
Harold_V

Re: One-off shaft for a gearbox

Post by Harold_V »

Don,
If you're comfortable making your own parts, the internal keyway isn't all that hard to make, assuming you have a drop spindle mill (a vertical, such as a Bridgeport). You can stroke the keyway easily using the quill and hand ground tool.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Re: One-off shaft for a gearbox

Post by steamin10 »

I have done such keyways by using the carriage on a lathe after putting the part on center, at the 3o'clock position in the chuck. On my SB lathe the head is locked by engaging both high drive, and the back gear. Wth a bit cut for the boring bar and aligned for center, repeated draw cuts with the carriage by hand gives me the results I need. Just dont be hoggy on the cross feed and measure well.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.