Someone to Make Odd Size Brass Machine Screws

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

dencins

Re: Someone to Make Odd Size Brass Machine Screws

Post by dencins »

I did some research about a die head and how it works. I can definitely see your point especially on speed. I was having trouble envisioning how it would open so it can be retracted but I think I understand that better now.

While struggling with the die head concept, it dawned on me that I never showed the application for the screws. Not sure if it will help but the application is very forgiving. This picture shows four of the screws holding the top brass piece to the faceplate which is nickel plated brass (I do my own copper and nickel electroplating). The other two screws are holding the black carbon terminal block and are screwed in from the bottom of the brass piece.
5 Inside.JPG
This is the finished transmitter ready to be mounted on an candlestick or wood wall phone. This transmitter was made in 1896.
1 Front.JPG
Dennis Hallworth
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the pics. Nice looking rebuilds!

I've done just a hint of plating, a little copper and a little gold. Never tried nickel, but it holds my interest, and I'll likely pursue it in the future. My latest project, one which must be accomplished in order to finish the house I've been building, is anodizing. I enjoy these challenges, and delight in achieving my goals.

The limited plating I've done was accomplished years ago, when I was involved in refining precious metals. I had a fume hood and acids at my disposal, as well as cyanide. I was able to make my own solutions, although they most likely wouldn't compete with those that are commercially available. Both the copper and gold were (are) cyanide based. I used a pure gold anode for the gold plating, so electrolyte should have a prolonged lifespan. Likewise with the copper. I still have both of them, in storage, for future use.

I expect you are using commercially prepared solutions?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

For what it's worth, my experience in making small screws for vintage replacement of that sort is that subtleties of thread fit class are not much of an issue, so they can often be a little tight or mighty loose and still get by just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot with 6-32 chasers in my 5/16 Geometric head, just to see what comes of it. I've picked up any number of chaser sets for about 25 bucks on eBay.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
dencins

Post by dencins »

Harold

I felt cyanide based solutions were too dangerous for hobby plating so I found formulas that did not require cyanide. I also do not plate with chromium. I can plate nickel over copper and get a finish that is very difficult to distinguish from chrome.

I use three plating solutions - acid copper, alkaline copper and nickel. I buy the nickel solution from a company that supplies jewelry designers and I make the copper solutions. Both copper solutions are made from materials I can get at local stores like Lowe's, etc. The alkaline copper is for steel, zinc, pot metal, etc. that can not be plated in an acid solution. I use the acid copper for brass and over the alkaline copper if I need to build up thickness like filling pits or deep scratches (acid copper plates much faster than alkaline copper). I make the copper anodes from copper pipe. The copper solutions cost me less than $15 per gallon to make.

Since I only plate small parts I am able to limit my plating bath size to one gallon. So far I have only come across a couple of telephone parts that are too big for the plating tanks. The nickel solution is Krohn's Acid Bright Nickel. It comes pre-mixed and contains the brighteners and levelers but costs about $60 per gallon. I buy the nickel anodes on ebay.

Here is a link to some of the other parts I have plated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dencins/

Dennis Hallworth
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

I tried and was able to close the 9/16 diehead I have to use the #6 dies to cut a #4 size screw. Without doing the math I doubt the helix angle would matter much with a .026 difference in D. even on a .112 thread. the relief ang is huge on chasers, unlike a regular die.

Nice work Dennis on those phone parts, do you do these all for yourself, or rebuild for others.
My wheels don't slow me down
dencins

Post by dencins »

Originally I started plating my own parts since I could not find anyone who plated low volume, small unique parts at a reasonable price. It turns out other people were having the same problem and when they saw my work (and prices), I started doing work for other telephone collectors and restorers. I have done parts other than telephones but mainly have focused on antique phone parts.

I have found there are very few people who restore solid back transmitters for candlestick and wood wall phones to operating condition so I do those for other people.

Dennis Hallworth
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

Dennis,
So in the end did anyone end up making these for you??
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Decins, that's a amazing rebuild, nice work !
Curious to see if you have any before pictures.