Level

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

Level

Post by Richard_W »

I had a new washer and dryer delivered to day. While installing the new HE washer it said to level it and how pictures of how they wanted it level. Since I don't do much wood working I had no idea where my level was at. Then I thought I know where there is a level. See photo for details.

Richard W.
iPhone 7-1 086.JPG
duckman903

Re: Level

Post by duckman903 »

So a pipe level is good for something, was .005" per foot accurate enough.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The level App for your iPhone was not able to be located?

Level, schmevel, if it doesn't walk across the floor or disturb your nap, who cares how level it is.

jmho, but I like your solution.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

??? That appears to be a Starrett machinists level. And if so, yeah, it's good enough to several extra decimal places.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

BadDog wrote:??? That appears to be a Starrett machinists level. And if so, yeah, it's good enough to several extra decimal places.
Starrett #98 with the V on the underside. I understand that millwrights use them to level shafts. I use it to level my machines.

Richard W.
pete

Post by pete »

My Mitutoyo master level has a V groove on the bottom, and while you could use it to level shafts, I think it might be a bit overkill for that work. I tried using it to level a new fridge and it was taking way too long. For some jobs a carpenters level can work better. But if you can only find a machinist's level? Well they obviously can still get the job done.

Pete
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

earlgo wrote:The level App for your iPhone was not able to be located?
I didn't know there was an app for the iphone.
earlgo wrote:Level, schmevel, if it doesn't walk across the floor or disturb your nap, who cares how level it is.

jmho, but I like your solution.

--earlgo
I am told the HE washer spin at 1200 RPM and that is why the clothes are almost dry to the touch before going into the dryer. I went shopping for a dryer because the one we had was starting to squeak loudly. Anyway one of the guys at work told me about how quiet his HE washer is. So it didn't take to much to get me to spring for both a washer and dryer. This washer is so quiet that the air conditioner makes more noise than it does.

Richard W.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Richard_W wrote:Starrett #98 with the V on the underside. I understand that millwrights use them to level shafts. I use it to level my machines.

I have a couple of those. I have the 98-4 (my first level) and
I picked a 98-12 and had Starrett rebuild it (a long time ago
now). Starrett made an almost identical level; the 97 series.
the only difference was the vial. The 98 series have a graduated
vial calibrated to show a .005" per 12" deviation. The 97 was
the identical level except its vial wasn't calibrated.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb