Mr. Crispin (Steamers)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Mr. Crispin (Steamers)

Post by ctwo »

This is amazing. I've been following his build, albeit slow, but much more so impressive. So young for so much knowledge...

This is part 7 of this particular segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gan_i2fXSmc
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
pete

Re: Mr. Crispin (Steamers)

Post by pete »

Yep I've been watching his videos as well. A great deal of work to cut those cylinders from bar stock and they look to have come out very well. I believe he's serving a machinist apprenticeship at Rolls Royce, so you can bet they do things right. Plus if my memory isn't faulty he was lucky enough to win one of the Keith Fenner WIYB tool box give aways. I'm certainly not taking anything away from his skills, but he has had a few advantages that would have really helped to speed up both the learning and having to buy decent tools only when you could afford it.. A normal hobbiest starting from scratch without even a mentor takes far longer to get enough equipment to make a start and then teach themselves how to get the best out of it. And that tool buying and learning never seems to end no matter if you started with a few advantages or not.