Anyone in the Dallas area with a surface grinder who wants a small job

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

Anyone in the Dallas area with a surface grinder who wants a small job

Post by 737mechanic »

I have a Palmgren milling vise that I need the ways ground parallel to the bottom. The vise is new but it is not true with the bottom. The vise is 17 in long. I am east of Dallas if interested email me at mechanic737@hotmail.com.
GlennW

Re: Anyone in the Dallas area with a surface grinder who wants a small job

Post by GlennW »

Grind the bottom parallel with the ways for best results.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GlennW wrote:Grind the bottom parallel with the ways for best results.
Never thought of it that way, but as long as your ways are flat, that will work nicely.

If the vise has a non-removable fixed jaw, you need to support the ways of the vise on one or more matched 123 blocks or heavy parallels.

I have four Kurt vises, a pair of 3's and a pair of 5's and I would like to do this so that they are matched pairs.

Shameless plug: I actually have THREE 5" vises and one is for sale:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 8&t=104364

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

GlennW wrote:Grind the bottom parallel with the ways for best results.
Is it bad/wrong to grind to ways? I will have to check my Kurt - the seller said they ground it parallel and I think they ground the way surface. I've never been comfortable with that since I havenot determined how that affects the moving jaw lockup. Maybe he did the bottom and I will not be able to tell. It seems to work OK. My Enron is lifting the fixed jaw though.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It could affect the leadscrew alignment if the way height is altered.

Depending on which way the difference is between the base and the top surface of the ways, grinding the ways could end up with the sides of the ways no longer perpendicular with the top surfaces.

If the ways are flat, square, and co-planar in relation to each other, grind the base.

A good inspection is needed to determine what is actually goofy prior to just chucking it up and grinding the way top surfaces.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!