Finally used my machines today!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Finally used my machines today!

Post by BadDog »

Actually, the tool shown IS left hand. You want a right hand version. :wink:

And a right hand equivalent to that CNMG (or so it seems) would be mounted with the tool stock square, thus allowing both turning and facing with the same tool. However, in that orientation, increased depth of cut beyond a bit more than the point radius becomes increasingly difficult due to the negative lead angle. A real machinist doing work for profit would have insert holders to match their needs, never moving a properly squared/oriented tool post from it's proper location. Makes it nice for consistency, and just dropping on a boring bar or parting tool without worry or adjustment. However, being cheap as I am and not earning with my tools, I find I frequently change the tool post angle to extend the tooling I have. So, that same right-hand CNMG holder can be angled to about 1 o-clock providing just a little lead angle, but sacrificing it's usage in that orientation for facing. Some time back I acquired a secondary-point holder to use my otherwise pristine and never used 100* points with a rather hefty lead angle. And with that, I am far more likely to leave my toolpost square. And having so many "free" points, I'm not at all hesitant to feed that thing pretty hard into interrupted cuts, including induction hardened splines on occasion (destroys the insert edge, but can be done).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Bill, glad to see that you are getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Russ--

I immediately zeroed in on your key phrase, ’a real machinist’. That certainly let's me off the hook . . . or raises the bar considerably.

I'll think about what you said. I'd love to keep that toolpost in one position. Maybe one day . . .

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 pm Actually, the tool shown IS left hand. You want a right hand version. :wink:
Sigh! What's next? I'm really losing it.

Yep, as you alluded, that is a left hand version, not a right. Thanks.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ok, I found time to review my original post, and it is correct. I suggested the shown tool was left handed, and it is. A right hand tool is used for turning towards the spindle when square corner is required. Turns out I am NOT losing it. Well, at least not totally. :wink:

Handing a cutting tool is easy, although the method doesn't really make much sense. A tool that is intended to cut towards the headstock, which would be in a left direction, or towards one's left hand, is a right handed tool. That is established by holding the tool at arms length with the top of the tool held as it would be in use (top up), and the cutting end pointing towards the individual holding the tool. The hand to which the cutting edge points is the hand of the tool.

A comment on a tools ability to turn when it is mounted with a negative lead angle, as this tool would be. It works, and even at depth, beyond the tip radius. The angle isn't great enough to be troublesome. If it is, for reasons that may not be apparent, one simply reduces the angle slightly by rotating the tool slightly clockwise.

In all my years in the shop, I have NEVER made the orientation of my tool block an issue. I should also state that I do NOT use a quick change, that my choice of tool post is a square block. For those using a quick change, it is to advantage to keep the post square, as a parting tool must be held correctly in order for the operator to part successfully. That is not a problem when using a square tool post as I do, as I am unable to mount a commercial parting tool.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I remember studying that. It is not intuitive. :)

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:05 am Ok, I found time to review my original post, and it is correct. I suggested the shown tool was left handed, and it is. A right hand tool is used for turning towards the spindle when square corner is required. Turns out I am NOT losing it. Well, at least not totally. :wink:
Sorry, it was Bill who incorrectly stated the handedness directly following your post. He said "I have the same tool in left hand", what he meant was right hand. I should have been more clear.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:05 amTurns out I am NOT losing it. Well, at least not totally. :wink:
Well, that's likely a matter of opinion. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

seal killer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pm All--

First question . . .

At what angle should I set the tool bit? I'm roughing this 12L14 bar down about .050". It is currently at ~1.050".

I've successfully used this insert many times in the past. It and its holder are from Dorian.

Thanks!

--Bill
ps The first time around I forgot to add the picture. Duh.

dorian.jpg

Here’s a pretty good explanation. Talks about included angles also.
https://littlemachineshop.com/info/turning_tools.php
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:49 pm
Harold_V wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:05 amTurns out I am NOT losing it. Well, at least not totally. :wink:
Well, that's likely a matter of opinion. :D
Chuckle!! I agree.

It is said that it is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Makes me wonder sometime why I post. There are days when my mouth appears to get engaged long before my brain does.

It was comforting for me to discover that this occasion wasn't one of them. I'm losing confidence in my judgment as I age.

H
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Russ and Harold--

About that fool thing . . .

I solve that problem by simply admitting it up front. Saves time.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

Thank you very much!!!

--Bill the foolish
You are what you write.