hello all

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

hello all

Post by AllenH59 »

Well it is fall and I am back in the shop, I sent a $380 order to shars, to get a few cutters and a new boring head. I kind of got pushed back into the shop, as a guy at a tractor shop asked me to make him some axle saddles, so they could weld them to an axle. I bet these are the first ever line bored axle saddles, and I finally found a good use for the horizontal arbor on my horiz/vert mill. They looked fantastic, too bad no one will ever see them. Anyway, I hope you all had a good summer. I look forward to reading your machining stories again for the winter.
seal killer

Re: hello all

Post by seal killer »

AllenH59--

WE would seem them if you posted some pictures!

--Bill
You are what you write.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

hey do not forget to post pictures of the line boring set up too, love to see them.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

here goes to attach pic, as you can see I am using the boring head as a fly cutter, and using a 3/8" that I ground the corner off the cutting edge so the point was closer to the middle of the carbide. I am line boring to 2.5" radius, and I am putting the cutter straight up and measuring 5" from the cutter to ensure that my radius is set correctly. This is going to be welded and a few thousandths over is not a big deal. I am using the horizontal mill on my grizzly mill, the work peice is a chunk of 3x3x3/16" tubing, and I cut the face with the seam off in my band saw. I squared up the peice of aluminium shown to my Y axis, and I centered the cut in the the work peice by adjusting the X axis so that the length of the uncut sections was the same on both ends. This was of course approximate as I did not square the pieces after I cut them to length in the band saw. The welder was very happy with them. I really think he was just too busy to fool with them, and wanted to pass the job along.
reduced is the file size
reduced is the file size
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

note the high tech shroud to keep the chips off the vertical ways....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

AllenH59 wrote: as you can see I am using the boring head as a fly cutter,
Nope! You're using it as a boring head, as you are boring, not surfacing.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

AllenH59--

Do you have a G3617? I almost bought one, but got the G3616 instead. It is a very good machine, extremely rigid, easy to tram and it holds tram exceedingly well.

--Bill
You are what you write.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

yes, I have a G3617, It is my first mill... Ok Harold, guilty, I am not using a round boring tool in the boring head, like it is built for, I am boring with a square shank tool that is for my fly cutter, (of course and for many other things) I had to grind the corners off the shank, to get it in the 1/2" hole of the boring head. This is the first job requiring very much torque from the horizontal drive, and the factory belts are not very good, I will be off the equipment store to buy better belts. I do like the rigidity of using the horizontal arbor.