material questions

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stephenc

material questions

Post by stephenc »

on another site i seen a thread where a fellow is making an er40 collet chuck for his grizzly g0602 . this looks like a very handy item to have to me and not to terribly expensive to do
he was using 4140 to make it .. i also found a very nice write up on the projects in metal site on this and that fellow used 12l14 to make his chuck .

i am not well informed at all on the properties of all the steel options available and i could use some input on what material would be best to make my er40 chuck with .

i do not have any 4140 or 12l14 on hand to use , but i do have a 2.5 x 10 inch hunk of 1144 stress proof on hand to use . although i am not at all adverse to buying more material if it is a better option ... throw me all your advice i am all ears .. or eyes in this case
GlennW

Re: material questions

Post by GlennW »

I'd use pre-hardened 4140, (4142) as it's a bit harder and more durable than 1144.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Glenn Wegman wrote:I'd use pre-hardened 4140, (4142) as it's a bit harder and more durable than 1144.
No question about that.
I've never built any collet chucks, but I have built chucks for line boring machines. They are basically a collet. I made them all from 4140/4142 Q&T, same as what Glenn is calling prehardened.

Here's a pic of one before I deburred & polished it up a bit, along side the original:
Climax 1.25in.jpg
The 4142 holds up better than the factory ones, but I hold the ID a bit closer to the diameter of the bar, and I think that has more to do with the increased lifespan.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Forgot to mention.....Good place to look up material specs is matweb.com.
Enter the material, like 1144, in the search box, and it'll give you a list of flavors to choose from, by size & shap, and process or condition.

Our friend Ken probably knows a couple ka-zillion more sites!

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

some of the choice may bear with the type of machine you are going to use,4140 seems to finish best with carbide and a little bit of hp.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

hammermill brings up a good concern , my little 10x22 grizzly is not a real power house , it says it is 1 hp , but i have my doubts , 2/3 hp sems a bit more realistic after having used it awhile .
i will also be using hss if that makes a differance too.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Maybe not what you are looking for, but Jeff over at tools4cheap sells an ER40 chuck - you mount it to a backplate. I paid less for it than I probably would have the materials to make one, plus metric threading was not something I wanted to figure out with a 70 year old US built lathe.