Anyone have a clue?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Anyone have a clue?

Post by earlgo »

A very recent acquaintance acquired an older precision drill press that he would like to restore, but has no information on. It is a Taylor & Fenn with a variable speed drive and a table that has a hydraulic lift. The spindle speed plate says 500 to 18000 rpm. It has ball bearings in the spindle and he is guessing it is 1930-ish. It weighs 900# and he thinks the hydraulic lift on the table is because it was used in a die shop and of course lifted heavy die plates.
No I don't have pictures, but could probably get some at a later date.
I didn't peruse the web as he has said that he did and was unable to find anything. I mentioned all the exceptional talent on this web-site and that I would ask.
Thanks in advance.
--earlgo

Here is the ebay link that I found but one has to do an advanced search for sold item Taylor & Fenn
Taylor & Fenn 18" toolroom/sensitive/hi ... ng machine
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
rudd

Re: Anyone have a clue?

Post by rudd »

A tiny bit of info over at VM, and photos of an earlier drill (1912) and a 1920's vertical mill.
" The Taylor & Fenn Co. was formed by the merger of the Fenn Machine Co. and the Phoenix Iron Works. "

Looks like they still exist, but are out of the machine tool business.

http://www.taylorfenn.com/