Material/Antiseize Question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Material/Antiseize Question

Post by revrnd »

I'm going to machine a new tranny drain plug for my Polaris Ranger UTV. the case is alum' & the OEM plug is plated (zinc?) steel & seals w/ an O ring. The OEM plug has a recess for a hex driver & I stripped it out trying to change the fluid. "My" plug will have a hex to fit a normal socket for better engagement.

I'm wondering if I should use CRS w/ Kopr-Kote http://www.jetlubecanada.com/tds/koprkotes.pdf or "normal" antiseize http://www.permatex.com/products-2/prod ... ant-detail

or use stainless steel to prevent galvanic action between the steel & alum' (see late 70s Chev & Pontiac bumpers)?

I see Permatex sells a copper based formulation as well. I have both of the previously mentioned products in the shop.
Normally the plug is installed dry, but wondering if the antiseize would affect the sealing.
SteveM

Re: Material/Antiseize Question

Post by SteveM »

I guess they made the hex weak so you would not strip the aluminum case :-)

Don't know which is the way to go, but I'm wondering if you need to worry about contamination of the tranny fluid with the antiseize?

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Um.....yes..... :D

The straight nickel stuff is supposed to be best for dissimilar metals....so they tell me, although most any seems to work fine.

High temp, like spark plugs or steel bolts in aluminum cylinder heads, I have always used the copper based.
Lower temps, the regular ol' stuff works fine for dissimilar metals. Also used to use it for the zinc anodes in the cast iron end caps of heat exchangers.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I wonder how much of the striping is a part of the cheater bar syndrome. or poor fitting Allen wrenches.

I would suspect any of the compounds mentioned would work with care not to contaminate the tans fluid.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

You could machine a plug from aluminum 6061 T6511 or 2011 or 2014 al alloy. You might also be able to get a plug made of aluminum. McMaster-Carr carries them.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

Was told by someone (don't remember who) that Kopr-Kote isn't compatible with aluminum. The copper in it can react with the aluminum. It was formulated for steel drill strings. Don't know if its true but I use the silver coloured anti seize on aluminum parts.
If you put an external hex on the plug can it catch on things under the atv.

Greg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Maybe you can get a drain plug for a Subaru, which has a Torx T-70 in it, and machine it down to the size you need.

They went to Torx to eliminate the problem of quick lube shops draining all the tranny oil and then adding 5 MORE quarts to the sump.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

f350ca wrote:Was told by someone (don't remember who) that Kopr-Kote isn't compatible with aluminum. The copper in it can react with the aluminum. It was formulated for steel drill strings. Don't know if its true but I use the silver coloured anti seize on aluminum parts.

Greg
Does it vary by brand?
This is what I have for the copper type in my shop right now: http://www.permatex.com/component/docum ... SA-English
I've used a lot of the Cat stuff, as in "genuine overpriced made by somebody else but sold and labeled as Caterpillar brand", as well as Never-Seeze & un-remembered others.

:D
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

f350ca wrote:Was told by someone (don't remember who) that Kopr-Kote isn't compatible with aluminum. The copper in it can react with the aluminum. It was formulated for steel drill strings. Don't know if its true but I use the silver coloured anti seize on aluminum parts.

Greg
I can't see why the copper in Kopr-Kote would degrade alum' when copper has been used to isolate aluminum & steel parts for years.

The drain plug is on the side of the case (go figure) behind the RR tire. A 12" extension is req'd to reach it. The last time I installed it I used a torque wrench set to the spec (17 ft/lbs). If the designers had put the drain plug on the bottom of the case, it would've been protected but the Ranger's skidplate.
Last edited by revrnd on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

Bill, I may have to retract that statement. Can't find anything on the net definitive as to it being a problem, a few opinions, like my own. Permatex says to use it on spark plugs in aluminum heads, so Im guessing its not a problem. When the silver aluminum based stuff is used up guess I won't bother replacing it.

Greg
ken572

Post by ken572 »

warmstrong1955 wrote:

Greg
Does it vary by brand?
This is what I have for the copper type in my shop right now: http://www.permatex.com/component/docum ... SA-English
I've used a lot of the Cat stuff, as in "genuine overpriced made by somebody else but sold and labeled as Caterpillar brand", as well as Never-Seeze & un-remembered others.

:D
Bill
Bill,
I think the only one all you guy's forgot to mention was Conducto-Lube
which was around 97% pulverized pure silver mixed with some kind of
white silicone paste. Very expensive.. :shock: :lol:
Ken. :)
Last edited by ken572 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Back in the olden days, on all the aircraft engines I remember working on, flat 4s, 6s, single and twin row radial engines, I can't recall any having a stainless steel oil plug in the engine Must have been the era. :wink: It didn't mater if the case was aluminium or steel. None had a hex socket for an allen wrench either, and all were magnetic plugs to catch steel as the engine or gears wore. We also never put any anti seize compound on them either. Spark plugs yes, every time, but not oil plugs. Have you considered a magnetic plug as well? Either incorporating it yourself or buying one? Examples below for ideas.

http://magneticdrainplugs.co

http://goldplug.com

Also not a bad idea to add to our lathe and milling machines too.

Pete