Need to buy drills

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Need to buy drills

Post by Mr Ron »

I need to buy a set of HSS, bright, 118°, jobbers length, fractional twist drills. I checked the MSC catalog and they list many different manufacturers and many different prices. Of the following choices I've contemplated are Hertel, Precision twist Drill, Chicago-Latrobe, Cleveland, Triumph and Interstate. Others I am aware of are Brubacker, Dormer and Onskog. I'm tired of using cheap Chinese drill bits that don't cut well, are not straight and dull quickly. Can you give me your recommendations on the drill bits that work best for you? These will be for general purpose drilling of all metals; no SS or tool steels. I will be looking for number size drill bits also in the future. I have an old 29 piece set of drill bits that are high quality, but I don't know what make they are.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Re: Need to buy drills

Post by GlennW »

I find Precision, CL, Cleveland, and Triumph to all be good, but they may all be owned by the same parent company.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I have used Chicago Latrobe and found them quite good. in addition to the others mentioned.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

If you haven't tried them, get hold of some 135 degree split point drills.

They hardly ever "walk" at all, and penetrate much more easily for regular drilling, often eliminating the need for pilot drilling in larger sizes.

Once I'd had some for a few months, I literally gave away all my other drill sets!

Mine are mostly Triumph

The split points (on the right) cut right to the center where the regular drill has to force it way in, and the difference is nothing short of amazing:

Last edited by Frank Ford on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Don't count out Hertel. I've bought many, and done quite well. I drill a lot of alloys, primarily 4140/4142.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Given your specs, I'd get a Norseman set from Harry Epstein's. I have this set and am happy with it (except I wish I'd gotten the bigger set)

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/DrillBitSets/J-29.html

Or you could go all in and get your number/letter sets as well as 1/64 increments...

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/DrillB ... J-115.html
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yes I'm another vote for the 135* split point bits. I have both jobber and stubby 115 piece sets in 135*
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I also agree on the 135* split points. Particularly for steels, very hard to beat. I tend to go for PTD, but CLE and many others are good. Just be aware that some have multiple target audiences, and "consumer grade" may not be up to "industrial grade". Like Frank, I've learned the value of good tools that work well, but unlike Frank I'm cheap and I tend not to get rid of the "bad" bits. There is always the use for which I don't want to consume (and dull) the good stuff. When drilling fiberglass, concrete board, or even stuff like sheetrock, I reach for my cheap bits that I keep around for just such occasions. I also tend to reach for them when I need a custom point for some purpose. I've made brad points, non-hogging (like for brass), and even counter bore bits like that.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you all for your response. I would say that I work with aluminum about 90% of the time, so that is why I choose 118° bits. I thought 135° bits were for hard steels, not aluminum.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

118 is the general drill bit angle that hits within the acceptable range of most common metals. 135 will work with aluminum or steel, but tends to work a LOT better with steels, whereas in aluminum it really doesn't seem to make much difference that I've noticed.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The 118° drills have a thinner web, therefore have a bit more chip clearance. I prefer them for aluminum.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

This may help.

Enco has 10% off and free shipping on orders of $99.00 or more.

Enter Both Promo Codes NOVDS & NVUPS | Offer Valid Until 12/1/14
Glenn