Wiring splices in older motor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Wiring splices in older motor

Post by spro »

I am really sorry about replies then. Super good advise from great people and then what. Oh My I'm struggling .
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

choprboy writes:
> In the telco/cell industry it is known as "ucky-puck", a soft, self-adhering rubber tape that makes a water tight seal. It is then wrapped with cloth or vinyl
> tape for UV resistance.

I know it as self-vulcanizing rubber tape. It doesn't seem sticky until you stretch it over itself, at which point it adheres tightly and soon becomes one lump of rubber. Great stuff. The "standard" kind (issued by Michigan Bell back when it existed) dissolves in just about any kind of hydrocarbon, though. Evidently there are oil-resistant varieties now but I haven't used up the supply my father left me.
spro

Post by spro »

Right John. Same stuff I would find during some decades around Western Electric installation and other work. That would be the same as Michigan Bell and most of the Bell System. If there was half a roll in the trash can, I might take it. They used thousands of yards of this tape. The later was grey.