Need tapping head information

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Orrin

Need tapping head information

Post by Orrin » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:22 pm

I picked up a used tapping head at PRIME and am very pleased with what cost me only $15. It seems to work just fine; but, it only came with one rubber-flex type of collet.

I need to find a source for more collets and hope that someone out there can help me. It appears to resemble a Tapmatic and I'm wondering if it can be a clone and if Tapmatic collets might fit.

It came with documentattion. Here's what's stamped on it:

The brand name is "Big"
The model is "Accu 207"
"Serial No. OB"
It's "Made in Japan "

It has a 5/8" shank. The largest tap that will fit through the collet nut is only 1/4".

The collet I have will take taps for #8 machine screws, and smaller.

Now, the question: Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the "Big" tapping head? If so:

1.) Do you know if Tapmatic collets will fit?
2.) Do you know of any dealers that can supply rubber-flex type of collets for the "Big" tapping head.

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img] Thank you for your help! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
So many projects, so little time.

Orrin

My thanks to those who replied off list

Post by Orrin » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:33 am

Several people replied off list and pointed me in the right direction. As it turns out, the answer was right under my nose in the MSC catalog. I should have studied it a bit more closely.

For those who are curious, MSC lists replacement Rubberflex collets for a variety of tapping heads.

One of the respondents said I should have titled my post "Tool Gloat." Well, I didn't want to rub it in, paying only $15 for a $386.84 item that's in like-new, perfect working condition. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
So many projects, so little time.