dovetail on a DTI

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

refinery mike

dovetail on a DTI

Post by refinery mike »

I want to make some specialized holders for my DTI. (Brown and Sharpe) What i need to do is cut those tiny dovetails for the indicator to fit in. Probabaly in aluminum. The problem is that i can not find a cutter that small. Seams that 3/8 is the smallest cutter. I tried to grind a bit in a piece of hss rod but it was less than satisfactory. Before i try again anyone got any ideas as to how to make a tiny dovetail.
J.Ramsey

Re: dovetail on a DTI

Post by J.Ramsey »

I used was a 3/16" end mill, cut a slot .200" wide by 0.070" deep.Then took a small triangular file that I ground safe on one side to cut the 60° angle for the sides of the dovetail.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

Thanks J, i know that is how the old gun smiths used to do it. I didnt think about making a safe side on the file. Good idea. a regular triangular file has a squared off edge that ruins everything on the dovetail.
I definately need one of those tool grinder set ups. Does someone here have a foolproof explanation for my wife the world will fail if i dont get one soon. I mean it is my duty to buy one, right.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I enjoy making cutters and the more I make the better I get to it.

I made a small 3 flutes dove tail cutter out of drill rod. Turned, gashed, milled the secondary relief, blued the primary relief surface and filed away with a diamond lap to create the primary relief leaving a tiny blue line behind the cutting edge.
Harden with a torch, temper in the toaster oven (wife goes bezerk each time).

I am building the PM drill press model, had to make a cutter for the 0.125" Dia. T slots bottom.

Ramsey method is faster though.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

When I encountered the same problem I found a tiny dovetail cutter used for mounting sights on firearms at Brownells, the online gunsmith supplier.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
easymike29

Post by easymike29 »

If you want to grind.

Gene
Attachments
Dovetail.jpg
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

mklotz wrote:When I encountered the same problem I found a tiny dovetail cutter used for mounting sights on firearms at Brownells, the online gunsmith supplier.
Quite the selection:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... l%20cutter
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I made safe side file and put the dovetails in. It went easy. I think i spent more time grinding the flat on the file than cutting the dove tail. Thanks for all the input. But no one has come up with a foolproof excuse to buy a tool grinder that my wife will understand. Maybe just the truth. i am a toolahallic.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Dear, you remember when I repaired grandma chandelier with a fractured casting, and the lever extension for the inversion table, and the gear in the bread machine, and the coffee grinder impeller, and made a replacement for the pressure cooker valve that took a spin in the dispose-all, and all the wonderful gadget I make to make your life easier?????????
Well sometime you really need to shape a special tool, one not available on the market, just to make the things that makes you happy. A tool grinder is just that sort of small investment that pays big dividends and also make me happy. Do not fuss in the kitchen tonight, let's go to that good Northern Italian restaurant you like for dinner.

HOW IS THAT FOR AN ARGUMENT FOR YOUR WIFE?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Torch

Post by Torch »

I just buy so many tools and fix so many things she has no idea what might be new or what they're for.

Basically, I have adopted her favourite tactic: Keep 'em confused.
gman6011

Post by gman6011 »

Torch wrote:I just buy so many tools and fix so many things she has no idea what might be new or what they're for.

Basically, I have adopted her favourite tactic: Keep 'em confused.
I literally laughed out loud at this, this is my scene as well. Nice to be among fellow toolaholics.
Any reason is a good one to buy a new tool.

George
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

When I suddenly became "between jobs" about 25 years ago, I started a garage business re-sharpening threading chasers for Rigid, Oster, etc. pipe threading machines. At that point I purchased a "well used" Delta Tool Maker grinder. Eventually it paid for itself and the proceeds from the grinding service fed the family until I was no longer "between jobs".
I don't recommend this approach as an excuse, but the point is, that I am glad that the Delta is still here, as it is used very frequently for odd jobs like sharpening HSS and CI lathe tools and with the help of the Polychoke fixture, drills and mills. Not to mention MT shanks when the need arises. Or "D" reamers. Or slitting saws.

(Wow, I didn't see how poorly dressed the wheel was. YIKES!)( And yes, that is a change gear from the Atlas used for the indexer.)

Or the occasional paper cutter blade.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.