Got it apart, now what to make out of it.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcostello

Got it apart, now what to make out of it.

Post by mcostello »

It's been rattling around in My tool box for to long. Was frozen up, got it free. Now what to make out of it? The only thing that comes to mind is a half base depth gauge. Any ideas?
mic.jpg
mic.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
SteveM

Re: Got it apart, now what to make out of it.

Post by SteveM »

Micrometer carriage stop.

Steve
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I set one up on the down feed of my shaper when I was cutting the 6 kazillion teeth for the racks on my plasma table.

Greg
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I can't tell from the pictures. If the markings start at 0.000 and then read larger as it is opened, like a normal micrometer, a depth gauge will be opposite reading. That will drive you nuts and leave you with the chance of miscalculating the actual depth. If that is the case you could use it to make your own deep throat micrometer. If it reads opposite to a normal micrometer, then it will do nicely as a depth micrometer.

Pete
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Inspector wrote:I can't tell from the pictures. If the markings start at 0.000 and then read larger as it is opened, like a normal micrometer, a depth gauge will be opposite reading. That will drive you nuts and leave you with the chance of miscalculating the actual depth.
Pete
:-) It's difficult enough to change your thinking when using a depth mike without having to do some other conversion/arithmetic. :-)
...lew...
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

It reads the same as a regular mic, I already have a dial indicator set up for a lathe stop. I cannot let a good part sit idle, will keep on thinking!
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

mcostello wrote:It reads the same as a regular mic, I already have a dial indicator set up for a lathe stop. I cannot let a good part sit idle, will keep on thinking!
While a dial indicator is handy, a micrometer stop is quicker when turning to a shoulder. You set the stop a few thousandths short of your final shoulder, run the carrige down to the stop each cut on the shank until the shank is the right size, make a note of the cross feed position, then back the stop back the few thousandths, and face off to final size.
I wouldn't be without mine. YMMV

CZ
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

With a dial indicator I set the dimension to what I want, turn dial to "0", chug away, maybe stop .001 away when finished turning move the carriage the last .001 and feed out.