How to determine if your surface plate is out of tolerance.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Don Bailey

How to determine if your surface plate is out of tolerance.

Post by Don Bailey »

This is a quick way to tell if your surface plate needs reworking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hui6pPZH36U

pete

Re: How to determine if your surface plate is out of toleran

Post by pete »

Hi Don,
Many thanks for that information. I think it's a very worthwhile and logical method to use that will at least give a surface plate owner some ball park numbers if there plate is still well within the tolerance numbers needed. Or at least it's completely logical now that I've watched the video. :-)

I'm unsure exactly why your getting so few comments on any of these forums, or even some proper thank you's for your series of video's. But fwiw I've learned something from every single one I've watched so far. Please keep it up, I happen to think your providing an excellent range of video's that show a lot of the standard industry accepted techniques that can be a bit hard to learn about for someone who's only doing this as a hobby.

And while I don't own all that much Suburban built tooling yet, I do want to compliment you on the quality of the 5" and 10" sine bars I bought that were built by your company. Your magnetic cylinder square is also very high on my list.

Pete
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I greatly appreciate the videos. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!
Don Bailey

Post by Don Bailey »

Thanks Guys. We are trying to give back to a great community.