Cutting Splines

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bruce

Cutting Splines

Post by Bruce »

I have a lawn mower (peerless) transmission that I want to convert to use in an early non replica of a 1920's motorcycle with a low horsepower, low RPM engine. I need to extend the input shaft on one end to add a sprocket ( I'm doing away with the RA input shaft and bevel set up). There are 49 fine splines, I've counted three times and will do it a again before I program my CNC indexer for the cuts. I know nothing of cutting splines or how they are specified. The shaft is 7/8", turned down to exactly .7450 at the spline section. My question is how are splines and the cutters specified? Thanks.

Bruce
Russ Hanscom

Re: Cutting Splines

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Splines are not standardized so the fun begins there. Typical spines (but not all) have involute profiles which are the same as gear teeth. For a start, consider it as a gear with the same OD and 49 teeth. If you come up with a standard gear cutter - great. More likely it will be non standard and you will then need to grind a single tool bit for use in a fly cutter, the easiest? solution.
spro

Post by spro »

If that is true then there is use for worn gearcutter of correct pitch. Worn ones have had their depth reduced and could be sharpened to where they still cut but not at the depth of a gear.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

spro wrote:If that is true then there is use for worn gearcutter of correct pitch. Worn ones have had their depth reduced and could be sharpened to where they still cut but not at the depth of a gear.
Hello :!: spro :D

That is a Very Cool Idea. 8) :idea:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the tips so far. Now that I've been looking around I have seen spline cutters in 45 and 90 degree angles so I guess I have to determine the angle of the spline. I gather that there are no spline gauges available. Thanks.

Bruce
TRX

Post by TRX »

If you don't have a good way to measure the splines on the existing shaft, and you're making the mating part anyway... you can recut the splines to something you *do* know the shape of, which would make it easier to do the mating part.

Could you just turn the shaft down and put a key in it?
dly31

Post by dly31 »

It may be possible to use an existing spline shaft and splice it to your shaft.
Don Young
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The shaft splines will match the input shaft gear cluster's internal spline. I think that extending the shaft with splicing would be more work than cutting splines. I just thought that there would be some one out there who has extensive experience with this.

Thanks
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

There are two types of splines
Automotive Standards covered under ASA-B5.15-1946
and
Aircraft Standards .....which I do not have info on.
They both usually are 30 PA Involute curved teeth, but the aircraft teeth are shorter
They are measured and specified under Van Keuren tables, using wires (like thread wires) for measurement
Standards go from 6 to 50 teeth

If they are 45 degree teeth or 90 degree straight sided, you may need either the 1946 S.A.E. Handbook
for specs, or the 1951 Edition .
Not sure of later issues
Standards go from 6 to 100 teeth

Rich
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks Rich, just what I needed. Also I had earlier posted that the suggestion to extend the shaft would be difficult but have now figured out a way that would be easy but might not have explored the idea without the suggestion from Don Young so thank you Don.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Bruce :D

You can use this as a reference.

http://www.rushgears.com/tech-tools/part-search

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
GK1918

Post by GK1918 »

Well for what its worth; I only spent some time grinding the correct HSS profile.
Attachments
114-1402_IMG_4.JPG