How Risky are Old Surface Grinders?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: How Risky are Old Surface Grinders?

Post by SteveM »

reggie_obe wrote:Any HSM'er who says so is fooling themselves, flood coolant, vacuum system all help, but any full fledged shop would have all the major grinding equipment contained in its own room, setup as a negative pressure zone so air is drawn in from the main shop, filtered and exhausted outside. earlgo paints a fair picture of surface grinding.
I was in Marcovicci-Wenz Engineering and saw a separate room on the side of the shop. I asked if that was the clean room and Pete Marcovicci said, "no, that's the DIRTY room. The entire shop is the clean room".

Steve
atty

Post by atty »

Steve,

I would give serious thought to a SG. As Tim says, once you have one, you begin to realize how useful it can be.

As for grit.....yes, it can be a problem. If you can't get it in an enclosed room of its own, then certainly avoid putting it next to your lathe or mill. On that note, I would say flood coolant is almost mandatory. I have been known to whip out a quick job without it, but when you need it, you really need it.
spro

Post by spro »

If your home shop is in a basement, there is a special place for grinders. Not everyone has to take out remnants of coal storage or the kerosene tank which replaced it. It is under the stairway. This area is usually contained on three sides.
atty

Post by atty »

After my 30 years in St. Pete, Fl, I discovered basements in Florida were rather problematic.....i.e. not a good idea.