Flea Market Tips?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill_Cook

Re: Flea Market Tips?

Post by Bill_Cook »

Don't pass up a chance to hit a yard sale late. Yardsalers are often at least partially interested in re homing. While a flea marketeer is used to packing up what doesn't bring an acceptable price, bringing stuff back into a home that someone wants to get rid of can be less appealing than letting it go cheap. One example that comes to mind is a set of heavy duty jumper cables properly made with good clamps and 2 ga welding leads. They were marked $20, and were offered to me for $2. I'm looking at them right now. Also things that don't sell may be set at the curb afterward. I picked up two air drills and some other things off a trash can once after a yard sale.

The stuff I've picked up out of freebe stuff at he edge of the road over the years is amazing. The top find would be a Danish wood stove in excellent original finish and condition. New it would go for close to $2000. I make it a habit to look at the house and give a thank you wave before departing.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.