Leak in New Harbor Freight Shop Press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Leak in New Harbor Freight Shop Press

Post by tornitore45 »

I am sure they will take care of you. :wink:
With yet some devilish fault to keep your diagnostic skill sharp :lol:
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I did the intelligent thing instead of the interesting thing. I returned the jack, and they gave me the jack from the press they had on display. No oil visible, so I'm happy about that.

I picked up a tool stand and mobile base for about $77. I plan to put my DeWalt planer on it. I just found out you can rig these things up with old Shop-Vac hoses and leaf bags and run them without dust collectors, so I'm all hot to get that working.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

LOL, yeah Steve, that sounds like Harbor Freight. One goes into the store to care of some problem or buy a specific item and you end up spending more money then you expected. Mark
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's a fact.

DeWalt makes a $150+ stand for the DW735 planer, but I found a guy who rigged up a leaf bag as a dust collector, and he used a $32 (with coupon) HF stand. I don't like the DeWalt stand, and $100 for stand, base, and wood sounds like a good deal to me. DeWalt made a dust bag and hose for the 735, but I was not aware it existed until the creeps discontinued it.

The DeWalt 735 is fantastic. It has a monstrous blower in it, it works really well, and I put a DRO on it. But it's really heavy, loud, and messy, so I never use mine, even after making two jointing sleds for it. If I can roll it around, and the chips don't fly everywhere, I may conceivably use it from time to time.

I've learned a lot about the foolishness of "bench" tools. If you put them on the floor, they take up exactly as much space as floor tools, only you don't use them, because you have to pick them up and move them. If it weighs over 25 pounds, it should have its own base.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-too ... -chip-bag/
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

One possible solution for the small table top tools I have consist of:
A bench without a top but rail set on the inside set 1.5" below the outside rails, then the top is made of inserts 1,5" thick as long as the table depth and as wide as the small machine needs. The machine mount on the removable insert. Finger holes and a handle located were is possible, a notch for the cord. If very rare cases, when the piece is too long to handle, the machine and the insert are placed outside on the driveway on saw horses.
I have my joiner, belt sander, grinders, and a small DP that never moves because the table is high above all other stuff to allow handling long pieces.

Is a constant struggle to reorganize the shop to fit all the tool to be readily accessible in reverse order of their frequency of use.

Next house will have 2 bedroom and a 7 car garage.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

tornitore45 wrote: [snip]

That'a why our coming move will include this building that is nearly complete:
24' x 52', fully insulated.
24' x 52', fully insulated.
My dream shop when completed. It also has a 20' x 24' concrete pad in front.
~RN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I am yellow with envy!
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I fainted when I saw that.
ronm

Post by ronm »

NP317 wrote:
tornitore45 wrote: [snip]

That'a why our coming move will include this building that is nearly complete:
Shop 90%small.jpg
My dream shop when completed. It also has a 20' x 24' concrete pad in front.
~RN

Too small... :roll:
That's what some ol' guy told me about my 30x60 when I had the pad poured...and he was right. :|
It's amazing how fast they fill up...
rudd

Post by rudd »

In the off chance (ha!) that the jack you just got will start leaking.... on mine it was the valve - the one you close to raise the jack and open to release. Laid the jack on its back, took the blasted screw all the way out, took it to a good auto parts store and got a little piece of rubber gas line hose that snugly slipped over it. Less than 1 dollar. has not leaked a drop in the three years since I did that.

If you want to know what I did to make the ram come down square, and in the same zip code each time,I'd be willing to share. I bought the thing used for about half new, and still feel like I paid too much.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the help. Now I'll know what to do if I get a nasty surprise with the new jack.