Here Goes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Here Goes

Post by SteveHGraham »

What is that big flat grey thing under the machines?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

The gray stuff is "floor" I've worked without it but it sure is nice:) I'll see if I can post a couple more pictures. Image
pete

Post by pete »

Nice mill, About a 8" X 32"table size? If so I have about the same mill and mine's got the power feeds on the spindle like yours. Most likely your's and mine were both built by Bemato in Taiwan since they make the Jet mills that are also the same table size.

Pete
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

I've struggled to understand posting pictures. I know this isn't optimum and I'm working on a better solution AND open to suggestions:) The mill in last post is 9x46 purchased in 2013. Next is my 4th lathe in less than 4 years. It's courtesy of a generous friend who ended with TWO new mills and passed one along as a sweet heart deal. Image In the background you can see my drill press and HF round column mill. Against the far wall is the flat space I can't seem to keep clean.
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

The mill is 9x49 Shop Fox. No complaints given my "skill level".
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

dcmus wrote:The gray stuff is "floor" I've worked without it but it sure is nice:)
"Floor." "FLOOOOOOOOR."

I like floor. I wonder where I can get some.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

Thought I'd post a couple pictures of the new shop in progress. This is last summer when I moved in. Image
It's 30' by 50' and had two 20' rooms with a 10' room in the middle. I removed the middle divider and framed 30x30, which would up being 28x30 and sheathed with OSB.Image
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

dcmus--

That's a great looking space! How are you going to heat and cool it?

--Bill
You are what you write.
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

The same space after some paint. Still needs a stripe but it's been too humid to paint. Perhaps this wknd. Image

Thursday we had severe flooding so I stayed home and replaced the T-12 fixtures with T-8 which brightened things up. Next thing is replace the sagging ceiling tiles and insulate the ceiling.
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

seal killer wrote:dcmus--

That's a great looking space! How are you going to heat and cool it?

--Bill
Good question. I used fiberglass batts in the 8ft walls of large section. The 20x28 has a loft with C perlin joists above the dropped ceiling. I don't think there's insulation behind those walls so unsure what to do there. I plan to replace the sagging tiles and use batts in the ceiling. Once the 10x10 rollup door is installed in large section I'll frame and insulate the remaining wall and then have spray foam insulation for the remainder. I'm definitely open to suggestions if anyone wants to chime ine:)
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

As for climate control..........I'm still studying that...........I'm in OK not AZ as the song says but it does get hot. Heating is not such a serious issue. A friend owns a motel and have considered 2 or 3 of the two way units he uses or the mini split units I hear discussed. Again I'm open to suggestions.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

dcmus--

Insulate it like crazy and then stick as much air conditioning on it as you can afford.

--Bill
You are what you write.