how to calibrate thread mics

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: how to calibrate thread mics

Post by earlgo »

And while we are on the subject of calibrating thread micrometers, let me just offer that when I was rowing the corporate galley and mentoring interns, the best design engineer interns were those who had machine shop experience, however slight it might have been. If you have stood at a machine and tried to figure out how to make a part, it most assuredly provides insight for the design engineering experience. Those interns who had never seen a machine shop were 'interesting' to mentor. One fellow required explanations about threads and thread pitches and why they were what they were. The gods only know what his engineering school was teaching him. Some kind of "Studies" class, probably.
But I have digressed, mea culpa.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.