dro for z axis

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rolland

dro for z axis

Post by Rolland »

There were a number of threads on adapting a digital calipers for the z axis on a mill but I am not able to get the correct words in the search mode to find it. Can anyone remember what is was"?
dcmus

Re: dro for z axis

Post by dcmus »

I don't know but I did that on my 9x49 import mill. Will shoot some pictures tomorrow.
bill jones

Re: dro for z axis

Post by bill jones »

Dro Quill kit for "z" axis with 6" travel
gets you some hits on quill readout kits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----this is a #303-9304 digital readout for my mill quill
#303-9304 DIGITAL QUILL READOUT.jpg
# 303-9304 digital installed .jpg
---seems like I paid about $28 to $33 each about 16 years ago and I bought 3 of them---but I don’t exactly remember where I got’m----quite likely was

http://archcity.net/Supplies5_Readouts_EdgeFind.html which showed'm at $56 1-18-2013

http://www.shars.com/products/view/2404 ... hine_Scale
---Shar’s price was listed as $77.95 1-18-2013
------------------------------------------------
-the only issue I've had with the one I've used on my mill is one of the large buttons eventually fell out--so I had to make a flexible way to retain the button in place.
-----------------------------------------
maybe you can get some ideas from this to mount a dial caliper.
-----------------------------------------
-previously I had a Mitutoyo with really small buttons that were flush with the face surface and hard to push.

-this big button deal works really nice.

-I have had the one digital in use now for about 16 years---and only used one or two batteries.
----------------------------------------------
-you might notice the bottom mount happens to be made of teflon with recessed fasteners.
-reason is---if you bang your forehead on the metal screws or bracket a time of two you'll probably come up with a "softer" lower mount yourself.

-I also used nylon mounting screws and nylon washers to totally insulate the digital unit from the mill housing----so I wouldn't ever have any electrical problems messing with the digital readout.

-I also had to bolt a piece of round bar stock teflon to the back of the movable digital display---to fit back into the up & down quill drive hole.
Attachments
TEFLON PIECE BOLTS TO BACK SIDE---PRESSES INTO HOLE.jpg