OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by seal killer »

spro--

spro, I learned a long time ago that it is difficult to deter a determined criminal. Very difficult.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--
it will be huge
I can't believe I wrote that. Forgive me. Harold should have had it deleted from the board for violating the rules, written or unwritten.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote:All--
it will be huge
I can't believe I wrote that. Forgive me. Harold should have had it deleted from the board for violating the rules, written or unwritten.

--Bill
Chuckle!
It's all a matter of one's perspective, eh?
I fully understand your comment, Bill, as I, too, have experienced the same thing. When moving from a single car garage, where I made a decent living for the duration of my run as Micro-Precision, the shop I have now is easily six times larger, and I'm crowded.

There is no amount of space one can have under a roof that can be considered enough. I have commented often, that I could put a roof on the world, then quickly fill up the resulting space.

I don't blame you for being excited, Bill. To you, it IS huge. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

These are just iPhone pictures, but this is the first garage/shop wall to be raised . . .
IMG_6154.JPG
08-29-17 Garage wall.JPG
The other walls have been built and are laying on the slab. (They may be up by now. I'm not on-site.)

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Progress moving apace during the pleasant weather. Wonderful. I do need to explain my earlier post. This is still the basic foundation and I knew that the final appearance may look much different. I have considered the wonderful views and realize how difficult it would be to insert a window, of any size, later. So it appears well thought out, to whatever arrangement may occur. There are always interior or exterior barriers as needs be.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Glad you are getting to the important stuff Bill.....the shop!!

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

It has been a while since the last update. Too long. Quite a bit has been done. The garage/shop has been framed and roof decking is up. The radiant heating and cooling tubing is in place and all exposed tubing has been insulated. The entryway (external) door is up, but its transom is yet to be installed.

The vault door has been installed . . .

https://youtu.be/nPJaF2vqLXY

And, I found a year-around spring! It's tiny and almost inaccessible, but pretty cool, nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/Ypcm5UhOTN8

I don't have a picture of the garage with all the decking on. There are two 9' x 10' bays and one drive-through 10' x 10' bay. The 19'x 28' shop will be next to the house with entry via a garage door located in the wall between the drive-through bay and the shop. In front of the shop is a laundry room and half bath.
09-09-17 Garage.jpg
The external entry door is up, but still lacks the transom. The transom and the internal entry door are laying in the living room.
09-14-17 External Entry Door.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I was just wonderin' what you were up to Bill!
Nice! Things are progressing!

Spring has spranged?

:) Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Yep. Spring is on its way down the road and fall is coming quickly.

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Very well timed, Bill. It looks like everything will be covered before general winter.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

This is not much of an update; just that the garage decking is all up (and the RoofLiner laid, not shown here) and the entry door transom is up.

I contracted for the metal roof on both the house and the garage . . . 26 gauge "hard metal"; I forgot its actual name. It began with a "G", I believe.

We are leaving for the site early in the morning. My brother in law drug his portable mill down from Michigan and is going to make lumber and beams out of some pine, hickory and redwood I had to take down to clear the site. I almost cried over some of it. I hate to cut a tree down. They are easy to cut down, but hard to stand back up.

If you are not sick of pictures and videos, I'll post more when I get back.

--Bill
09-22-17 Garage w decking.jpg
09-22-17 Entry door w transom.jpg
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Keep the updates and photos coming!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618