OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by liveaboard »

Wow; nice spot you have there.
It looks like the trees in front of the house are blocking what would otherwise be a magnificent view.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

liveaboard--

It only looks that way from above. This is the (main) view from every room in the house including two master bath vanity, tub and shower areas. The only rooms not included in the list are my den and two guest baths.

11-02-18 The View - resized.jpg

How many thousands more do you want to see? Should I sort them by time and date or will just by season suffice? :)

--Bill
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Too bad your neighbors are so close...
~RN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Bill's place makes mine look urban!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RN and liveaboard and All--
Too bad your neighbors are so close...
Nothing wrong with neighbors. Sometimes I think about getting on a plane and going to visit them.

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I suppose you could set a runway along the top of one of those ridges; but you'd only be able to visit neighbors who also had a runway.
A good excuse to avoid the riffraff.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I have been picking up--by hand(!)--tons of rock ranging from one inch to bigger than me. Although I have a great skeleton rock bucket for the Komatsu, it's not good for picking up scattered rock without tearing up the ground. I'm using the rock I pick up as fill on the east and west sides of the house for drainage purposes. I've finally picked up enough. There are several feet of basketball-sized and larger rocks on both sides. I can now finish off with large 3-10" river rock up to within about 18" or so of the grade line and then find out from SWMBO what will go on top of that. (Hopefully, NOT grass.)

Here is the latest on the radiant heating and cooling system. The two pictures below are of the utility room. Seen on the wall are most of the components of the system. Only the controller (about the size of a cigar box) and a little plumbing remain to be done. The box on the wall in the second picture is the on-demand propane heater that will warm the concrete slab and walls.

I've been spending more time here than in KC. BUT, we now have internet and WiFi. When it was brought up, my wife was here and the first thing she did was to bring up her laptop and start working remotely. She said the speed is plenty fast enough. That means she will be able to come with me more when it is just a weekend or 3-day weekend trip.

11-15-18 Radiant System - 1.jpg
11-15-18 Radiant System - 2.jpg

--Bill
You are what you write.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 pm I suppose you could set a runway along the top of one of those ridges; but you'd only be able to visit neighbors who also had a runway.
A good excuse to avoid the riffraff.
Looks to me like a good spot for a 15” railroad with stations along the way at every person‘s driveway. How cool would that be 🤠
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

live aboard—

How cool? WAY COOL!

—Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

The house is finished! We are moving appliances in. After that is done, I'll post a walk-through video. In the meantime, here we are on the deck during a recent snow storm with the wind screaming at us from over the cliff behind us. But, I was the only cold person.

--Bill
01-19-19 Barbara Louise and William Cecil Chennault.jpg
You are what you write.
Cymen

Post by Cymen »

Congratulations on finishing! I'm curious about the internet -- what do you use? An LTE/cellular network connection or are you able to get a physical line (cable/fiber)? Really fun to watch it step by step and dream about doing similar one day.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Cymen--

We use a Hughesnet 25mb/s down and 4mb/s (or 5?) up satellite link. Here in KC we have a 1Gb/s Google fiber link. So, we're spoiled and I probably shouldn't say much bad about the satellite link. It works. That's (reasonably) good.

Theoretically, there is landline/DSL capability. One time the Century Link tech was out checking something and I asked him about getting DSL. (The tombstone is only a couple hundred feet from the house.) He said, "I can barely get a signal. You would be lucky to get voice."

Prior to the satellite link, we used our Verizon connection on the cell phones. I suppose that connection makes the satellite link look good!

As far as building in a remote location goes, I have a LOT of advice for folks wanting to tackle that project!

I'm glad you've enjoyed following this thread. It looks like a few people have viewed it.

--Bill
You are what you write.