OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

reggie_obe

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by reggie_obe »

LPS-3 will do a better job of keeping machined surfaces rust free than just oil. Easier to clean off than Cosmoline as well.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill and Harold--

Got'cha on the plastic. That makes sense.

If I can get power to the container (at the storage facility) and a drain, I could stick one of my dehumidifiers in it. Of course, that would raise the temperature, but that would not be an issue for the machinery as long as its dry.

What do you think?

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

An economical alternative to a regular dehumidifier, might be a Dri-Z-Air.

They were used a lot in SE Alaska when people stored their boats for the winter, both on & off the water. Put one in the cabin, tie down the blue tarps over the boat, and it would prevent the mold, rust, & mildew from forming. And that stink that goes with that stuff.They were quite effective, so long as you maintain 'em a bit, but you have to do that with a regular dehumidifier.

We used to fog & spray all the equipment we shipped overseas with LPS. Really slimy stuff, and worked well, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. A little reading would give you an idea.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

I'll have two dehumidifiers to store. I might as well plug one of them. A drain is handy, as well. :)

--Other Bill
Ps Typed with my iPhone and it wasn't easy.
You are what you write.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
We used to fog & spray all the equipment we shipped overseas with LPS. Really slimy stuff, and worked well, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. A little reading would give you an idea.

Other Bill

Waxy coating. It lasts until you remove it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

But this means you have to survive for a considerable period of time without your machines.
How are you going to do that?
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

liveaboard--

In my dreams, it is only six to eight months. Reality may, unfortunately, be more like a year. Whether it is six months or a year, I'll miss'em!

--Bill
Last edited by seal killer on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I have owned and used a small herd of dehumidifiers, and still have five in operation in our house and shop. The newer models are a little more forgiving of cool temperatures, but the old ones iced up and stopped functioning when they were operated much below 60° F.

Even the newer types, some of which have a defrost cycle, may not tolerate winter temps (I expect they won't). Otherwise, they're an excellent idea, and the small amount of heat they produce will be of benefit, not detriment. That's true in the winter, or cooler months. Don't know how well it would work in the summer, as the interior of containers can easily reach 120° when they're in the sun.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and All--

All of my dehumidifiers are from Sears. My earlier models all had "freeze up" issues. The two I have now have never had that problem.

The storage facility is a large building with individual steel walls each with about a six inch air gap between stalls at the top. I do not know the temperature characteristics of such a structure, but it seems that it would be better than a container.

I'll stick a temperature and humidity gauge in the storage area that holds my equipment and check it now and then when I access the larger storage area that contains most of our household stuff.

Maybe I'll look for a temperature/humidity/water alert system that alerts one via text message when preset levels have been reached. Such a thing must exist, because I am capable of thinking of it!

--Bill

[EDIT: Found the device I speculated about, above . . . The MarCELL® Cellular Connected Monitoring System.]
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I would think that a facility like that would have to be a lot better than a sea-can out in the open. I've used sea-cans for years for storage and transporting equipment etc. Part of being in the contracting biz.

Seems to me that monitor would be $250.00 well spent! For peace of mind if nothing else!

Other Bill
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

To ready my shop for storage, I've had to move my saws up to the garage alongside the lathe and mill preparatory to storing it all at a storage facility. There is no power for them in the garage, so everything is now officially down for the count until I build the new shop. The grinder and some other miscellaneous equipment is already stored. The drill press looks lonely, but it has ever since '07 when I got the mill.

The lathe, mill and 1" saw will be crated and palletized and I'll use the same company to move them from my shop to the storage facility. I suppose I'll palletize the 1/2" saw, as well, since I have no real good way of loading it into the back of a pickup. (My buddy just turned 65 the other day and he is moaning and groaning. I'm a year older and still good to go!)

Tractor decision update: I am looking strongly at a Mahindra 5545 4wd with backhoe and front end loader. I will add a box blade and a brush hog (or bush hog as I've discovered they are [now?] called), grapple and pallet forks and probably a rear blade. Some additional hydraulic work will be necessary to use the grapple.

We've lived here for 17 years. The amount of stuff we've accumulated is kinda awe inspiring. We gave a lot of it away and (almost) all the rest is now in storage except the furniture which we will use in some place we lease upon the sale of our home.

We'll miss the house. For Kansas, the view is tremendous. We sit on a cliff about 50 or 60 feet above a very nice golf course with a large wooded area. At the bottom of the cliff are a large pond, a small pond and a lake. Wildlife in that wet area between us and the golf course is abundant. At the edge of the cliff I have a ten foot long and couch-high, 9,000 pound rock placed for sitting purposes. Although I quit drinking years ago, it is still known by the neighborhood as "the drinking rock" as many a neighbor has enjoyed its comforts while freely critiquing the golfers. (That has not always been appreciated by said golfers.)

Anyway, no shop! I'm back to lurking! :( Well, not exactly lurking, but I certainly won't be building anything soon.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Don't have any experience with Mahindra equipment. Not something we'd use in a mine....so.... :)
All I know about them is what I've read. Started looking when all the commercials started on TV.
Originally reverse engineered from IH, made in India, assembled in the US.
Haven't read anything bad about 'em....but lots of good reviews out there on the net.

Funny how we all accumulate stuff. First time we moved, we did it with a loaded pickup, car, and an 8' U-Haul trailer. When we came here, we filled a 45' trailer. Not counting what was loaded in the pickup & SUV.
I've never been as long as you're going to be without my 'stuff', but even waiting for the truck to get from point A to point B after we'd bought a new place, was bad enough. Especially bad with some storage time in-between
Hope you don't end up floppin' around like a salmon drug up on the beach! Withdrawal can be tough.....

:lol:

Other Bill