OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by Harold_V »

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure the blocking can't be easily moved, though. If it can shift, the load could suddenly be loose. A terrible scenario when the safe would then be sitting on wheels, very eager to get away from the trailer.

Be careful when you lay down the dolly. You'll be supporting a lot of weight as it nears the horizontal position. Might be wise to use a shop crane to let it down under controlled conditions.

Luck with the move, Bill. Must be getting pretty excited about the prospects of moving. It certainly was a big day for us when it was our turn.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Now that's a NICE deck!

Moving heavy things... back when our backs were young and fresh, we did all sorts of silly things.
Now I take the extra time to get a machine to do the lifting [if possible].
Even though it usually takes longer, I get more work done by not injuring myself.

I was taking the rear wheels off my tractor when I realized it was a dumb thing to do; balancing 700lbs, it could just crush me. I made a wheel lifting jig so I can use my hoist [has to reach under the fender].

The dolly section is your danger point I think; take it careful + slow... But you know that.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here is what's left on the list of things to achieve completion . . .

1. Pour concrete patio, driveway pad, front porch (foyer) slab and sidewalk. That is being done as I type.

2. Install horizontal cable railing system on the deck and matching system around the stairwell.

3. Granite installation in the kitchen and four baths.

4. Sinks set in kitchen and four baths after granite installation.

5. Gutters and downspouts.

I have approved and initiated items 2 through 5.

The safes were moved without incident, largely due to help and guidance from this forum. (Thank you!) Neither safe budged while I hauled them 300 miles. The last mile and a half was the true test as it was over our "driveway"; the improved logging road. I used my Komatsu skid steer to unload both safes. The little one was easy for two of us to manhandle into position.

The big one was too heavy to manhandle and it was laying on its back. I got forks under it (it was sitting on packing) and placed a pallet beneath. That allowed me to lift it off the trailer and take it near its final resting place in the garage in what will become my shop. I laid it down on its back--still on the pallet--and then tilted it near the upright position with the forks. When it was just shy of the balance point, I dismounted and helped my good friend Johann bring it past the balance point into the upright position. From that point it was just a matter of muscling it into position. (Good thing Johann is young and a former super-athlete!)

This project is nearing completion. At least, as far as the bank is concerned! Fortunately, I will have stuff to do on the site and surrounding property forever. I like that.

--Bill
ps I hope to start a new thread concerning the shop build some time next year!
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

This is a pretty good video of our progress to date.

https://youtu.be/wVNHPWiwVhk

I hope we have granite installed, soon. The driveway (in process, now) and patio (14'x72') should be complete in a week or two, depending on weather. The horizontal cable railing system for the deck and stairwell will be delivered by the builder this weekend. All interior walls are in the process of being repainted and touched up. The granite treads on the stairs are ready to be installed. Tile work in all the baths is mostly complete, with the exception of the upper guest bath.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looking good, Bill!
Things sure do slow down when finishing begins, eh?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

On any large project the last ten percent takes 90 percent of the time. That rule also applies to the last ten percent.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

John and Harold--

You certainly have that right! I often think of that old saying that goes something like 'if you always go half the distance, you'll get close but never get there'.

The driveway was finished today and my builder brought in the horizontal cable railing system. Other than building supplies like concrete and lumber, I've never been able to get a vendor to deliver anything to the site. I've trucked and trailered in TONS of stuff. The propane foreman told me it was the furthest back they had ever set a tank.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Hey Seal Killer, I keep getting emails returned from you.
Harold mentioned that you moved and possibly the reason.
My email is jrivera45@comcast.net
Please reply there since I visit this site once in a blue moon!

Jose
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here are a couple of pictures of the horizontal cable railing system we installed on the stairwell and the deck. I finished stringing the stairwell cables, but the remainder of the deck cable is on a 500' roll and requires another person to manage the roll to keep the cabling from unspooling and going crazy.

09-28-18 Stairwell Cable Rail-resized.jpg
09-28-18 Stairwell Cable Rail System closeup-resized.jpg
09-28-18 Deck Cable Rail-resized.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I'm building a retaining wall on the west side of the patio and deck. Eventually, it will be five blocks high (10'). However, the blocks you see in this picture were set from the far (east) side. I can't position the next blocks on the left from that side due to the deck posts. I will set them from "this" side, the west.

My plan is to backfill on the west side up to the top level of the lower blocks. This will allow me to get the Komatsu on a more level position on that slope. Otherwise, the 2,400lb block would tip the machine when on the slope.

09-30-18 West retaining wall-resized.jpg

The short end of the "L" will come this way (west) at least one more block and will go up the full five blocks. That way I can backfill up to the house's grade line and create a nice corner at the same level as the deck.

My plan to finish that corner is "interesting rocks." My wife's plan is grass. Guess who will win?

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Man, I am SO jealous. Congrats on some fine progress! Me, I'm planning to retire to an open span steel building on a concrete slab surrounded by 8' chain link with razor wire in an isolated warm/dry location. ;) In reality, with my luck, it will probably be a trailer park...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Regarding the spool cable;
I had a problem like that, I knocked up an unroller so I could avoid the need of a second guy.
Basically a stand that let the reel rotate under slight tension.