OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by seal killer »

All--

Like wild turkeys and deer? These are my regular customer . . .

https://youtu.be/wuvxebbWWh4

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Cool!
We get deer on a regular basis, but not turkeys. Fun to see!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I enjoyed the video. I had never seen wild turkeys interacting like that. It was a pleasure to watch both the turkeys and the deer investigate that "stand pipe" thing. We can see these usually have at least one member which is totally alert to sounds or actions. Beautiful critters.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Bill, I enjoyed the video of your feeder. Thanks for posting it. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

The lower level electrical and plumbing are all roughed in. We are working on the upper level now. And the garage. The garage bathroom (shower, vanity, toilet and laundry room) are going to be placed and sheetrock put up. So, the next time we visit we will not have to rent a room! Even with no door between the house and the garage, the place is amazingly warm compared to the cooler external temperature. It really hangs onto the sun's warmth from the day before. After the sheetrock is up--and before the radiant heating system is installed--I'll be able to heat one of the master bedrooms with a small electric heater as we "camp out."

The roofs--garage and house--are complete. They look great.

The septic is scheduled for BEFORE November 1. I hope that works out because my little sister and her husband are coming down and we will take them to the new house for a few days. We will stay at the trout resort (because I already made the reservations), but it will be nice to finally be able for the girls to use the facilities instead of roughing it. In fact, my South African neighbors, who are used to REALLY roughing it, are also looking forward to our first restroom in the area!

I like this shot . . .
10-13-17 Buck and Turkey.png
--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Loving the updates, Bill. Being able to stay on site is a huge accomplishment.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Guess what time it is? Give up? I thought so.

It's time for me to start THINKING about moving my machinery into its new home!

Let's think about the lathe. It is bolted to a very sturdy pallet. The only way I can figure moving it is to situate it with its axis parallel to the length of the trailer. I will bolt the pallet through the bed of the trailer . . . it is made of 2x6. But, how do I secure the lathe from tipping right and left with straps? Two long straps wrapped around the bed and secured to the trailer sides? I could use packing to prevent the straps from contacting the control rod or anything else.

Obviously, I'm pretty lost and am looking for help.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

When I moved my lathe in my truck I wedged 2X4s between the bottoms of the sides of the truck bed and the bed of the lathe to prevent it from tipping. I wedged these 2X4s into place with more wood and then strapped the lathe down, The 2X4s kept it from tipping, packing blocked it in so that it could not move forward or back, and straps held it down.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I moved my new-to-me Leblond Dual Drive by taking the bed assembly off of the tray+legs.

That way, I didn't have to worry about tipping.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I FORGOT to say I will be hauling it on my flatbed trailer.

--Bill
You are what you write.
pete

Post by pete »

I'm old school Bill and have seen far too many heavy duty industrial rigging straps get either partialy cut or totally fail because people failed to inspect for previous damage or pad sharp edges. Chains and cinches I trust. They don't secure construction equipment on lowbeds with straps, everyone uses chains and boomers for a good reason. That said if your careful the straps can work ok for the light loads like you'll be moving. Run a strap around the bed casting webs at the headstock and tailstock ends of the bed. Pad the straps anywhere there touching the lathe bed so the straps don't wear or get cut with thick cardboard or scrap carpeting. Run each end of the strap out to each side of your trailer. Should be ample room to clear the leadscrew and feed rod. You also want at least one or more straps fore and aft on the front and rear of the lathe to prevent it from moving due to acceleration or braking forces. Set the carriage, cross, topslide locks, and it might be best to remove the tailstock. There's no such thing as over securing any load. Any doubts at all add more chains or straps. If it were me I'd seperate the lathe from the stand since it will then be a lot more stable. For your mill rotate the head to upside down like it should have been when you first got it, place some plywood between the motor and the table, run the knee up until it just start taking the weight of the head. Lock the heads anti rotation bolts real well. MAKE SURE your heads tilt and nod screws are backed off to a neutral postion so there's no tension against the tilt and nod gearing. Make sure the knee locks are well secured. Once loaded and on the road check your chains or straps within the first 5-10 miles, it's normal to get a bit of slack show up, further load and tire checks every hr or 2 after that and at every fuel stop.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete—

I’m sitting by a dying fire on a perfect night approaching midnight and logged in using my iPhone!

I don’t have any straps, so all of them will be new. I’m used to checking the load (chains) after a few miles when hauling my tractor or skid steer. Of course, I also check them at every stop.

I’ve never used ratchet straps. I’ll buy some wide ones. I think the ones I looked at are 4” wide. If I can find wider, I’ll get them.

I am going to bolt the pallets through the 2x6 trailer bed. I’ll make sure the machines are very securely bolted to the heavy duty pallets I had built for them. I’ll also bolt 2x4s to the trailer around the pallets to help prevent shifting.

I may be able to also use a chain on the mill. Maybe.

One of the saws will go in the bed of the truck, maybe both.

I’m really looking forward to getting the machines on MY property and out of storage! I looked at them for the first time the other day. No rust. The place is temperature and humidity controlled.

I’m typing this all with one finger and remembering Mechanicalmagic beat me up for wasting so much time on proofing! I miss him.

—Bill
You are what you write.