OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

steamin10

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by steamin10 »

I am drooling on myself looking at that airplane hanger. I have small snippets of buildings, and wish I were otherwise. 6 cars on such a dance floor would be heaven. kudos!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Eventually,..., I will put OSB on the walls. THAT should help with the bracing, too.
Indeed. Use of OSB as exterior sheathing, at least on the corners, has largely displaced the use of diagonal bracing.

Of course, one can make an argument in favor of a belt and suspenders.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

The lower level is completely painted and touched up. All electrical work is finished (on that level). The next project will be the installation of some of the wood flooring that I recently hauled to the property. I rented a box truck and hauled it down myself because it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a shipper that would take it the last mile. (Actually, the last two miles.)

The 7,000lb flooring load was on two oversize pallets. I used my new heavy duty forks on the Komatsu to unload them. Although the Komatsu easily lifted the 3,500lb pallets, it was a little "tippy." I could tell the rear wheels wanted to come off the ground, so I got the load down from the truck to near ground level as soon as possible.

The second pallet was up near the front of the truck. I slipped a chain beneath that pallet and tied it off on the far side with a scrap 2x4, hooked the chain up to the Komatsu and drug the load back to where I could fork it to the ground. Piece of cake.

All electrical wiring is also complete on the main level. When I was there last--a couple of days ago--outlets were being installed. The main level has had its first coat of paint . . . maybe more by now.

The Energy Recovery and Ventilation (ERV) system is up and running. It works surprisingly well distributing heat (from the Mitsubishi Minisplit heat pump) around the 5500 sq ft house on two levels, although the lower level is a few degrees cooler. When the well-driven radiant heating and cooling system comes up, the thought is that the heating and cooling differences between the two levels will disappear or become negligible. In fact, my hope is that we will not require ANY cooling from the heat pump and minimal heating. We'll see.

The cabinets are stacked in the upper and lower levels awaiting installation of the flooring awaiting (on the upper level) the completion of the tongue and groove on the vaulted ceilings.

The picture is of a 14' rock accent wall adjacent to the foyer. (The rock is on the exterior of the pantry wall.) The foyer will also be finished with the same rock and SHOULD be done by today.

I bought 8 Hunter ceiling fans, six 70" fans (two each for the master suites and two for the kitchen/dining/living room area) and two 52" fans (one for the guest bedroom and one for the common area). Four of the 70" fans have 6' downrods to hang from the vaulted ceilings. All can be controlled via bluetooth or by standard remotes. Only experience will tell if the bluetooth is worth having. Since the ceiling fans are an integral part of the ERV and radiant heating/cooling concept, it SEEMS like being able to control them all from my iPhone is a good idea. Again, we'll see.

Garage doors (five of them) are still three weeks out.

My good friend on the 80 acres immediately west of me put up a 24x32 metal pole barn for $5k. I really like it. I'm thinking of putting one up--but I would have a concrete pad, instead of the gravel + base rock floor he is using--to house the skid steer and tractor (now comfortably in the garage out of the weather) plus all of the attachments that have attached themselves to me: a 6' excavator bucket, a (really nice) 7' excavator bucket, a 6' landscape bucket, a 6' skeleton rock bucket (invaluable!), a 7' heavy duty brush hog, a 7' heavy duty box blade and the bucket on the tractor. I'm thinking of a building with doors on each end so that I can park the Komatsu on one end and the tractor on the other with the implements in the middle, probably racked in some fashion. What do you think?

Here is the rock wall I mentioned earlier. The foyer is on the left and the kitchen is on the right. You can see a bit of the tongue and groove on the ceiling.

02-19-18 Pantry wall - resized.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
pete

Post by pete »

I can't recall if you have a quick change system for changing buckets or not Bill. If not that means driving the pins in/out during any changes. Pita and far easier with 2 people with one operating the machine controls and the other sliding and then driving the pin into engagement. Having everything racked should work, but If it were me? I'd seriously be thinking about a heavy castored and welded structure so any attachment can be lifted onto that then rolled into and away from the machine by hand. It would make getting everything lined up a whole lot easier. Even at that an overhead crane, gantry, or in a pinch cheap generic harbor freight engine hoist is likely going to make things a lot easier as well. The smaller and much lighter equipment should make things a bit quicker than changing multi ton buckets though. Aligning a 500 + ton machine with a newly rebuilt bucket and getting multiple holes aligned to less than .020" will test your patience and skill. :-)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete--

Both my tractor and skid steer use the quick attach assemblies. It takes seconds to change an attachment. It is convenient that all attachments for one will attach to the other, however some of the skid steer attachments are a bit heavy for the tractor and the landscape bucket that came with the tractor is far too light duty to use on the Komatsu skid steer.

Thanks for the suggestions. The thought of a separate storage area for the equipment and attachments is still in its infancy; percolating in my head.

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have a 1 ton gantry crane in the garage; putting implements onto the tractor is incredibly easy when they hang on the hook, and a button lifts or lowers it.
I don't have anything heavier than 1/2 ton, which is still easy to move slightly by hand when it's dangling.
The space under the hoist is limited and too precious to use for bucket etc storage, but I plan to set things up so that before I start losing a lot of strength, it's all by hoist.
Never do anything by hand that you could do with a machine!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

This is kind of a not-update.

A lot has happened, but who hasn't seen vaulted ceilings? Wood floors? Electrical and plumbing work? Kitchen cabinets? You get my drift.

In addition to the above, I now have garage doors. Four of them; three bays with an additional door on the drive-through bay. The fifth garage door will be an internal one opening from the garage into the shop. This means that not only will I be able to start moving household furnishings and stuff into the garage, but I will be able to pre-place my machinery in the shop.

My plan for the machines is to put a plastic tarp over them with a dehumidifier inside it, since the garage is not on any active HVAC system at the current stage. Comments?

I have been clearing the area west of the house (along the "road" leading to and from the property) to create a park-like setting. Now, for hundreds of feet, you can see the house peeking through trees and see the valley and river far below to the south. Kinda neat. If I ever get a good video of this effect, I'll post it.

Ok. For those that have NEVER seen garage doors . . .
03-13-18 Garage Doors.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 pm My plan for the machines is to put a plastic tarp over them with a dehumidifier inside it, since the garage is not on any active HVAC system at the current stage. Comments?
That's an excellent idea, Bill. The covering will protect the machines from dirt and grit, and the dehumidifier will ensure there is no moisture buildup. I'd not recommend the plastic without the dehumidifier, however, as it's prone to accumulating condensation, which would likely drip on your machines. Without the dehumidifier, I'd recommend a canvas covering.

The place is looking real nice, Bill.

No, I'm not surprised. 8)

A hug for Barb, please.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

Re: Your last sentence; Done!

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Always have had problems with rust with machinery, tools, & parts in storage when covered with plastic, but never was able to use a dehumidifier either. That's why we started packing things away for the next job with canvas tarps.
No doubt un-insulated sea containers had much to do with that, with the temps rising & falling so much.

I agree with Harold though, that with the dehumidifier, you should be good. I'd still have to peek now & then. :)

Looking like your getting closer & closer to moving in!

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill and Harold—

Thanks for the guidance. I’ll get a canvas tarp to cover everything and stick the dehumidifier under it also.

My equipment has been in a temperature/humidity controlled storage facility for the last two years.

—Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Wow....has it been two years???

Time flies....whether your havin' fun or not!!

:wink:
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.