OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote:My tools are on that truck. How am I supposed to survive for two days with no tools? I am highly disturbed.
Fear not.
We already knew that.
:lol:
~RN
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:My tools are on that truck. How am I supposed to survive for two days with no tools? I am highly disturbed.
If you were like me....you would be OK.
I carry a Leatherman, I always have a tape measure in my pocket, and....I have a 4" Crescent and a screwdriver on my keychain.
Just cuz....ya never know......

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a plumber's torch, two crescent wrenches, and a set of electrician's screwdrivers. I think there may be a blacksmith's hammer in the garage.

Oh, hey! I just found a set of Knipex wire nippers on my desk. I guess I'm all set now.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have a plumber's torch, two crescent wrenches, and a set of electrician's screwdrivers. I think there may be a blacksmith's hammer in the garage.

Oh, hey! I just found a set of Knipex wire nippers on my desk. I guess I'm all set now.
There ya go....no withdrawl.....

:)
pete

Post by pete »

Bill only has a couple of smaller machines and that's a dead easy move. I've had to use hoes to get pumps etc into areas a D 11 couldn't get to. Too steep and the hoe had to pull itself up the rudimentry road I'd built. If you can drive in with a pick up or the contruction equipment that built the house and soon to be shop it's no different than a paved road. Just might have to go slow if it's rough that's all. If concrete trucks got in there then even a 5 ton rental truck can do so even easier.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Appreciate the updates! Keep them coming.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I am FINALLY getting to the garage and SHOP!

Here is the 50'w x 40'l slab. It will be a dual position, three bay garage with a 19'w x 28'l shop. There is also a laundry and half bath opening off the hallway leading from the entry doorway into the house, which is not visible in this picture (top right corner). The shop is located adjacent to the house . . . just left of the plumbing you see stubbed up. The bay adjacent to the shop is drive-through. I'll stick an 8'w x 10'h interior garage door between that bay and the shop.

The slab . . .
08-23-17 Garage Slab.jpg
Considering that my lathe, mill and all my Gladiator tool rollaways and cabinets were in my two car garage, which I shared with two cars, it will be huge. The hallway, laundry and bath and shop are adjacent to the house.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

"It will be huge ", only for a little while.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Downwindtracker2 wrote:"It will be huge ", only for a little while.
Exactly!

I added on, and almost doubled my 'garage'.
Bought a knee mill.
Another lathe.
Another drill press.
Made a portable stand for my pantograph.

Meanwhile....I got more stuff to work on the ol' yard.
I need another two car garage.

Too much room...is only temporary!

:) Other Bill
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Downwindtracker2 wrote:"It will be huge ", only for a little while.
Truer words were never spoken...

I went from 1 car detached garage packed like a circus clown car to 1800 sf (previously commercial CNC!) shop, and it's getting cramped. In fact, this weekend is dedicated to finishing off half done "organizational" projects, and general clutter sorting because it was getting difficult to maneuver around the new box-o-mill project. And the G8 is still setting outside under the awning awaiting opportunity to finish the rework on it (for 4 years?) because I don't have room to store it's large mass inside... It took me only 5 years to get from "room to pull my crew cab inside and close the doors, to "I can't fit a big belt grinder inside"...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Um ..Yes but let's go back to the design. Bill Sealkiller man. What's with all those windows? It looks like some university college. Hold on now, you have something else. I'm not saying anything but you have to know that glass doesn't prevent an intruder like a hungry bear or crack addict. If I were invested, it would be a fortress.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh I said a very bad thing about crack. How about meth? How about young strong bodies whose minds are temporarily deranged. How about serving 5 years for murder and another is serving 30 years? How about I could say more and be really stupid? Perfection and all that work. A measly criminal, looking for a firearm maybe and some cash.. this stuff happened. It has to be more difficult.