OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by Harold_V »

Bill,
I hoped to view your productions, but in making the attempt, I was required to sign in. I try to avoid that as much as possible. Any way we commoners can view your offerings without doing so?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I'm out of town. It SHOULD have worked! :(

Note the site is BarbAndBill (I think), not my regular site.

If broke, I'll fix it when I get back.

--cellphone Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ahhh, yes! Much better. I was able to access without issue. I'm now going to take a look!
Thanks, Bill.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here is an update that should interest you. I'm only making it (two videos) on this forum in its unedited form. Later, WHEN I GET TIME, I will stitch them together and edit the footage, blah, blah, blah for my dedicated build site. The videos also leapfrog the dedicated build site's reported progress.

https://youtu.be/z1HK_dYFDck

https://youtu.be/J5aQSND_gqA

Enjoy! I did.

--Bill
ps PLEASE let me know if you cannot access them by clicking on the links, above!
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes Bill, they link great and the video quality is great too. I even watched the "Excellent Adventure". I really liked that. Thanks for sharing.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....I'll be glad when my Internet service is on more than off, and fast enough to download a video....
:(

In the mean time....I will assume that things are lookin' good Bill!

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes and more. At some point you are going to face the winds and storms by being at the top of a ridge. The views are spectacular, no denying that but the "wind brake/break" is not what it was. This situation should be paramount into the roof design. Natural winds and storm will test your great construction. The direction and intensity may be different because the site was cleared. Let me say this is not to alarm, only some experience. Lets say I have a house and buildings with a view to the Massanutten Mountain range and from outbuildings, a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Consider that the property was cleared/ house built 30 years ago. The structures remained sound until the last few years when winds and storms prevailed across this ridge with high intensity. That was due to further expansion of surrounding territory and felling of many trees. At one time, I drew up plans for a 2nd story but having witnessed entire decent roofing and siding ripped out by ridge winds, I think lower now.
Or else secured metal roofing and rafters secured tightly to the foundation. A different design where the winds cannot get under. Once they do, it will pull the whole roof off. So I could say nothing about that, but these may be the times when roof design is most important. Best. Sealers :)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

spro--

Your cautions are well taken, Kind Sir!

The house is all concrete and the metal roof will be tied into the concrete. The metal of the roof will be applied over 5/8" decking. Additionally, we will insulate the roof with 3" of closed cell spray foam. I am told that when that stuff sets up it will increase the structural integrity of the roof.

You are certainly also right about the "breezes" coming over that ridge!

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here is the view from the upper level master suite . . .
IMG_5096 - resized.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
RSG

Post by RSG »

seal killer wrote:All--
Here is the view from the upper level master suite . . .

--Bill
That's awful! LOL :wink:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Bill that is a spectacular view! It is always good to see peoples plans come to life. I have been following your thread, all along.
Best of luck.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!